News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

parts car

Started by glenmichael, 2020-07-20 18:15

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, I am looking at a 1958 Fairlane , 4door , 6cyl , car in the field for many years.. My interest is the steering wheel , steering column , steering box , the pitman arm and the Windshield wiper assembly . My question is if I have this vehicle how many of the 58 parts will interchange with my 57 custom 300 ? I need a vent window ? Door handles and lock assembly ? Hood , always loved that scoop.. Just wondering ? I don't want to miss out on this chance to gather parts . Thanks Glen

gasman826

drag link and idler arm if changing to power steering...if not, those two items would be the same as what you have.  Core support, hood, dash, upper and lower control arms, spindles will interchange.  The Fairlane vent assembly is not the same as your Custom.

glenmichael

Thanks Gary, the car is 2 hours away so I want to be prepared when I get there. I plan on taking the entire steering assembly, wiper assembly ( worked on my pulley and cable set-up now the motor doesn't work ) now I can try the 58 set-up.  You say the Hood will fit , I love that hood and don't we all need three different hoods ? I will also take the dash since I will need to remove it to reach everything. Gary I will be in Adrian mid Sept. would like to visit your shop and see the 57 , I'll call.

RICH MUISE

Using the '58 wiper assy will require some substantial modification to the '57 cowl as the '58 wiper motor mounts inside the cowl (or inside the cabin ?), and that mounting bracket area in the '58 has to be cut out from the '58 cowl and welded into the '57. Then there's the issue of whether or not the '58 motor is good, and if it can be replaced if not.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

if you take the dash and want to use parts on your 57, be aware of the all white knobs on the 58. so you should take the window crank handles as well. white for 58. they look great. all 57 knobs on the entire car are black, except for the horn button emblem. it is white on a 57. the 58 emblem is black !!! go figure. a 58 horn button emblem works great in a stock 57 interior and a 57 white one will work great with the all white 58 knobs and crank handles. just a very minor detail.

glenmichael

Hello everyone, My main interest in this 58  Fairlane is that it has the entire steering assembly and I would just like to improve my 57 steering. The wiper assy. ( it's all there) and it will give me that option. Don't get me wrong I love a stock and clean 57 Ford , this one I found was beyond me to restore stock which is why I chose to go hot rod sort-of , sorry if that offends. I love the look of the 58 hood and this one is nice and with the Dash it as all three delete plates and that material runs across the glove box and below the speedometer again I like the look. I did not notice the steering color difference , love learning new trivia , Thanks , Appreciate any and all help with my 57 custom 300 project .

RICH MUISE

You're not offending anyone here.......I'm sure the majority of us are not factory correct stock. The lack of reproduction parts and insane prices for nos parts make it extremely difficult to build per factory specs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

I'd bet you could easily sell those deletes to someone doing a 58.

Ron.

mustang6984

I have 2...and neither is or will ever be stock. One used to be a race car. The other a mild hot rod. Both will be hot rods again. Like Rich said...most here are far from stock...too expensive. And with that much money in them...you'd be afraid to drive them!

Welcome...we can always use more guys with the passion for these cars!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

I agree with the guys.. use what you can... trying to build a factory Spec 57 would be crazy $$$$.... I would definitely grab the 58!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

CobraJoe

Maybe I'm in the minority, but why not just take the whole car? That way, you could study and disect carefully at home and still have a '58 left to sell or for parts?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

I was thinking the same thing. Wish I had done that on my SVO.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker