News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Quick time YB bellhousing on sale

Started by cos, 2023-02-21 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello Members   I have been thinking about a TKX trans for my YB block  ranchero (57). Been put off by high cost of quicktime RM-8056 bellhousing.  I noticed Holley has a winter sale on it for 464.00 dollars. Is this what I need?  I havent checked on gear ratio for ford compatible TKX yet. But half price bell makes it more affordable. I have very limited knowledge of this combo. Thanks for any advice. Bill Oregon

gasman826

Hard to beat sale price and free shipping!  Jump on it!

cos

Hi  Spend a couple of hours on computer and phone with MDL Looking like saving $500 on bell just reduces cost from about $4500 to $4000. From what i was told Ford tKX trans has a 7.2" input shaft and getting it to work with a quicktime RM-8056 bell make for 6.5"  the input shaft would have to be changed to a 6.5" add (200 plus) for shaft and $350 installed (By them to keep warranty) plus some special flywheel and starter and  disc maybe depending on ratio of trans. So Iam still priced out. I did check out t-5 ? with shifter mods for use with bench seat from fella in Idaho, still about $3000 and still have early model trans. Thinking I will walk away from and this use a narrow tin top 4 speed or t-85OD. Sorry for taking up anybody's  time Iam done.  :deadhorse:

cos

Other note. Fella MDL thinking the RM-8056 is done for.

59meteor

There are adapter/spacers available to accommodate the longer input of the TKX, and allow the TKX to bolt up to your original "narrow pattern" Y block bellhousing. Assuming your current clutch has a 10 spline disc, there is a TKX version that will allow you to keep your existing clutch disc, although that version is only available with the lower 1rst gear ratio, and I believe, a 0.72 overdriven 5th, pretty close to the ratios of a T5.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

cos

Thanks Meteor  No one has mentioned that for a TKX option. Can you steer me to that adaptor? Thanks

gasman826

Summit Racing is offering the Ford version TKX for $2895 plus $19.99 for oversize plus sales tax.  My first TKO600 was picked up right at a Tremec Warehouse.  Back then a shorter input shaft was required or a spacer plate.  They installed the shorter shaft for the cost of the shaft.  The spacer was half the price and upon hindsight I should have went with the spacer.  It would have saved $150, saved even more for a cheaper style on hydraulic throwout bearing, saved on a shorter drive shaft and put the shifter a little closer.  Now, Tremecs are available factory assembled as a toploader replacement.  The MDL boys might be good at what they do but kinda pricey for stuff you can buy out of the box.

lalessi1

My quote for the MDL stuff was $5000. I put that on the back burner.
Lynn

cos

Hi  Called MDL back and spoke with tech support fella.  Told me their MD-401-2105 adaptor  would mate a yb bell to a TKX trans, with a 7.2 inch input shaft. Was told earlier that I would need a quicktime bell to do this. Thinking this adaptor is same one for a T5 to yb bell.

gasman826

I've been studying on the MDL adapter plate.  It adapts the TR3650 to toploader bolt pattern.  MDL also makes an upgrade gear kit for the TR3650 to handle 1000HP!