News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater core recommendations

Started by dungbeetle07, 2018-01-29 15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dungbeetle07

Pulled my heater core out during restoration and found the whole core and temp control valve assy to be rather, well...not original.  Since the core appears to be leaking I thought I'd replace it but I can't find any like it in MAC's or DC.  Do folks repair cores like they do radiators?  If not, has anyone installed a different year core for a replacement?

I did find a similar cable cntrl'd temp valve from summit.  I think someone used that because it's only $20, far cheaper than the vacuum cntrl'd valves.  But even if I wanted to use the vacuum cntrl'd valve, I'm not sure how to go about it.  The output from the control panel is a cable, so I'd have to find a cable operated vacuum switch and the run vacuum to the actual temp cntrl valve.

Any comments or recommendations welcome!

gasman826

the vacuum contolled valve also uses a cable.  If your cable is inside the car, it is a vacuum valve.

lalessi1

There are actually 2 different types of heater control valves on FACTORY heaters. One is a capillary style, the other is a vacuum design. My car had a capillary style originally and I converted it to the vacuum one because it was available as a repop. I will post a few pics and details of the connections. There is a discussion of this on the forum somewhere.....

The fluid inside the capillary expands and controls the valve position, it is a one piece design and requires no vacuum. The other is a two piece design... a valve controls the amount of vacuum that controls the valve position. It is a TWO piece design and require a vacuum line to the controller and another vacuum line to the valve.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5472.0;attach=12396;image

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5322.0

Lynn

hiball3985

The underhood type valve uses this one. I changed it to the capillary cable only type when I installed a new core.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

If your heater core is good or can be repaired you will need  B7A 18495 A vacuum control valve that mounts to the heater core core and B7A 18502 A  cable operated vacuum valve, both readily available on Ebay.  If your restoring you should have the Ford assembly manuals, both available from Mac's etc. which will show the configurations.  There is also a rubber gasket where vacuum valve attaches to the core.  I've found a good gob of silicone works better and doesn't shrink or harden.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

SkylinerRon

Try  Classic Radiator 516-293-2175 in NY.

Ron.

dungbeetle07

Switching to factory type controllers and spoke to Classic radiator for core repair. Thanks for all the input!