News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E-Code Insignia

Started by ECODE70D57FORD, 2007-03-05 21:49

Previous topic - Next topic

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim Nolan
  Would you please tell me more about that E-Code insignia in the glove box that you mentioned in another string.
Thanks  Jay

JimNolan

Jay,
   The Thunderbird emblem was supposedley used on the first 1500 Fairlanes produced with dual exhaust 312 4 barrel engines. This bears out in thier advertisements and dealer brochures. The first month of dealer brochures showed these emblems on the glove box ( 8/56). The very next month of printing were exact copies of the 8/56 printing except the emblem was gone. My car was the 3794th car to be produced(counting all models) and it had the emblem ( 9/27/56).
   Later, they brought the emblem back out when they built any vehicle with a 312 that had two 4 barrels or was supercharged.
   I bid on one of these emblems on E-bay. It finally went for around $500.00 and was bought by a man in Florida. I e-mailed him asking why he needed it. He was restoring an E-code Ranchero that someone had swiped the emblem from. I looked him up on the internet and found out he was filthy rich owning a very large stable of classic cars.
  The information I've accumulated about the emblem comes from various people that are heavy into restoring 57 Fords.
   From what I've been able to research, this is the story behind the 57 emblem. The next years of production saw an emblem only used to depict bigger engines (58, 59). Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim
     Thanks for the fast and in depth response to my question.  Is your car a 57?  That glove box emblem in the picture certainly looks like a 57 emblem to me.  I can't make out what the word is that crosses through it though.  This may seem like a stupid question, but is it possible that some 57 Fords might have been assembled in 1958?  My 57 has a double mark on the date code and I was told that it  was made in 58. ( sounds crazy to me)   I have to find my glove box emblem but it does not look like yours.  It was put away in a "safe" place and I have not seen it for a few years since I started taking the car apart for restoration.
Thanks again Jay

JimNolan

Jay,
   My car was built on Sept 27, 1956. According to information I researched, Ford didn't start the line until after the holidays at the 1st of Sept. And then they started slowly to work out the bugs. My car was built on a Thursday during the supposedly second week of full production. It was the 3794th car off the line that year. Then it was shipped to a dealership in Portland, Oregon for sale.
   The emblem says " Special " across the front of an Eagle with it's wings spread. I believe the 58 and 59 emblems are different.
   Do I believe they made 57 Fords in 58, doubtful, but I haven't got a clue either way. I just know I wish they made them now.
   The double mark on your data plate I've heard about, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was for. I'll go over my information and if I find out, I'll let you know.
   I've found out that Ford didn't keep the best records back in 1957, so the information that you get is from people that have done the best they can to retrieve that information. Doesn't mean it's gospel, but it does mean they've gone to more effort than most.
Jim

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim
     You sure did do some work finding out the production information on your car.  I had no idea that this information is available.  Thanks for telling me about that glove box emblem.
      Mine is the cheap model Custom E code 57 Ford  Business Coupe with three speed standard non overdrive transmission.  All of the information in the data plate was easy to check.  The only thing that I can't figure out is the date which is 23W.  Maybe someone out there in Ford world might know. If I ever find out what it means, that will be fine but if I don't , it will not be a big deal because I have wanted  a 57 2 Dr Custom for years.  Finding this particular one was a bonus.
      I noticed that you mentioned a BW T85 in another message.   Well I still have mine.  I decided to use a 65 Mustang full synchromesh transmission in my 57 though.   That way I can go back into first gear.  Nothing on the car was destroyed in installing it.
Thanks for the help Jay

JimNolan

Jay,
   It looks like your car was built on the 23rd day of Sept. in 1957. Your car should have a very high production number. Jim

ECODE70D57FORD

Thanks Jim
    Now we can put all of that 58 shipment stuff to rest. I like it better this way
    Do you still need the measurements for 57 Ford wheels?  I have nice clean straight originals put away that I can measure.
Jay Arrow

JimNolan

Jay,
   Yes I would. If you measure from the outermost edges across the rim, and then measure from the outermost edge of the inside of the rim to the inside of the hub mounting surface I'd be greatful. I've got a bunch of rims and they all have different backspacing. I don't know which ones actually came with the car.
Thanks, Jim

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim
    I took these measurements today before I read your letter.   My width measurements are from the inside edge of the rim where the tire bead seals against the rim. My offset is the same as what you  requested.  I can do it again tomorrow if this does not help you.
    57 Ford Station wagon 8 cyl.  14 x 5 1/2"   ----    offset  4"
    57 Ford Custom  6 cyl.           14 x 5"        ------   offset  3 5/8"
Hope this helps Jay