News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

lowering ride height questions

Started by texasmark1, 2010-04-23 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

thinking of installing Aerostar springs in the front to lower the front end...

what's the consensus on using lowering blocks in the rear?  Speedway sells several models w/various amounts of lowering possible.

my car is a once in a while, parade, Sunday-driver... not a racer, numbers-matching or daily driver...

does the above scheme sound reasonable??

thanks,Mark
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

Blocks work fine for a cruiser. You can't get to the rear brake
adjusters though. I changed over to self adjusters. Still need to
set them tighter. I'm not up on the Aerostar springs.
Also, my housing is narrowed 3/4" per side. Can't get a adjusting
tool to brakes at all.
I hate blocksanding!

65kcode

Does anybody make mid-eye leafs, or reverse-eye leaf springs or found a different model leaf spring that works?

Kevin

KidKourier

I believe the Aerostar springs were a topic in the suspension section and they used 89-93 coils(try around summer of '09),for the leaf springs eyelets try Eaton Springs or Posies HotRod Parts for their Super Sliders.KID

05gt

Aerostar coils do work. Installed them myself last year and everything worked perfectly. Dropped the front end down a bit more than I origionally wanted (2 1/2 inchs), but looks good. Only negative that your going to have is a bit rougher of a ride. Well that and your camber may be hard to get right after the install.

tarheel57

Another option on the front is the dropped spindles. Fatman Fabrications -- ( www.fatmanfab.com  ) offers a 2" or a 3" dropped spindle for the 57 ford cars.This is what Im going to use.Your chamber and steering geometry will stay correct using these and it does not effect or create bumpsteer.. Tarheel :burnout:

clubcoupe57

Hey guys, I used spindles and disc brakes off a 78 mercury marque and coils out of a Ranchero which are about a 1" shorter and then I cut one coil, had front end alighned  and camber adj. drives good, and not near as stiff as I thought it would so i was Happy, but probably not as nice aa ride if you went with after market spindels, " Poor Peaple Have Poor Ways" and it works

cool57

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2010-04-23 17:08
Blocks work fine for a cruiser. You can't get to the rear brake
adjusters though. I changed over to self adjusters. Still need to
set them tighter. I'm not up on the Aerostar springs.
What parts did you use for self adjusters? Is there a conversion kit or did you purchase parts for a later model?
Oops! I decided to search and found Briney's post about using '68 Galaxie self adjusters.

shopratwoody

I got my info from Briney also :unitedstates:
I hate blocksanding!