News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Which Vintage Air

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-06-04 17:56

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Of you guys that are using Vintage Air units, which models are you using?
i was looking at the gen4 model, but Vintage Air rep isn't sure it would fit. I could measure as they suggest, but it's always easier to ask.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

c'mon guys...I can't believe none of you are using vintage air.

tarheel57

Rich,I have been talking with a local vintage air dealer,this is the brand im going to use.they have been around many years and build the best aftermarket unit out there in my opinnion.I work for a local streetrod shop and we use the -- GEN-II Mini in a lot of different cars,and it will cool the average sadan with ease.If you look on the vintage air web site you can get the dementions on each of their units.No mater which unit you use,you will lose part of your glove box.You will have to cut about 6 to 8 inches out of the back of the cardboard box and just reattach the back .I know the GEN-II Mini will work under the 57 ford because I just done a test fit on mine last week with one that we had laying at the shop for a customer.The dementions are--  GEN-II Mini --19" long,7.3" deep,& 9" tall.   I am thinking about using the next size up which is the GEN-II Super (pushes a little more air with an extra outlet) its dementions are-- 24" long,8.5" deep,& 8.5"tall .I can fit in the extra length because i removed my radio out of my dash.While on their web site or thru your local dealer you can order one of their Mock-Up Units,which is a empty unit (case) with the mounting brackets to fit it into your car for $49.00,and once you order your complete unit you can return this Mock-Up Unit for a refund.A lot of shops do this when they are building a car from ground up and need this to do their modifications to their dash,glovebox,fairwall,etc,but dont want to buy the air cond. and let the warrenty run out on it before the car is finnished.When ordering make sure you let them know if you want all 3,heat,air,& defrost,because they offer it different ways.I hope this little bit of information helps,good luck! Tarheel 57 :burnout:

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the input. I have neither the radio or glovebox to contend with my modified dash. I was aware of the mock-ups and that's probably the way to go. I'm hoping the gen iv will fit. Good point with the warranty and I wasn't aware you could get a refund on the mock-up, so I appreciate that info...Rich

RICH MUISE

update...5 months later...I'm getting ready to order a vintage air mock up unit and I just wanted to ask again if anyone has installed a gen iv unit in their 57. I'll probably  go with the genII super...but the climate control with the genIV is tempting.
I need to redo my defroster plenum (to move the air duct inlet location for acess to my relocated windshield wiper motor from under the dash), so this is turning out to be a good time to order the vintage air mock up unit.

RICH MUISE

I ordered the Gen 4 maxum mock-up unit. The tech guy I talked to this time at vintage said he thought it had a good chance of fitting better, even though it is larger, because of it's shape. It's a little higher output unit than the gen 2 super. Overall cost difference is approx. 200. and it gives a late model oem type climate control (blending of heat and air). I'll let you guys know how it fits after I get it and play with it for a while...you'll just have to keep in mind the radio and glovebox have been deleted in my modified dash.
I have to come up with a way to alter the defrost plenum to accept (2) 2" dia ducts. Any ideas? any ideas on what kind of weldable thinwall tubing I could easily find that would be 2" o.d.? I was going to check electrical conduit. With the mods I need to make to the plenum anyway, I need to remove most of the oem rectangular  inlet and weld it closed.

tarheel57

Rich,I cut the center out of my defrost duct and split the corners of the open ends back about 3/4 of a inch and then folded them in like folding a box shut and welded up the edges,grounded them smooth and painted them and they turned out nice.I also use a 2" round piece of tailpipe about 1 1/4 long,cut me a 2" opening with a holesaw close to the inner bottom corners to fasten my defrost hose to.The reason I made mine into two seperate vents is I am using a 58 wiper setup that mounts inside under the dash so I could do away with the original cables.I also will be using the Vintage Air.I talked to them awhile back,just not ready for it yet,but I have already modified my dash to handle it.Good luck,Tarheel57

RICH MUISE

:003:yes yes yes....great idea splitting it into 2 and I hadn't thought of tailpipe either...perfect!!! I still have never seen pics of the 58 wiper setup, and in particular how it mounts to the cowl and accesibility...do you have pics by any chance of the conversion? I had that long post about really wanting to use the mustang wiper setup to match my steering wheel and that's done except now I need to finish the project on the inside side of the cowl. I'm going to weld up my air vents Then I'll have to come up with a removable access door that will seal up watertight. I'll probably search around for some type of outdoor equiptment case that has a formed door with seals that I can disect and weld onto the cowl. Thanks for the input.....it was just what I needed.   Rich

RICH MUISE

finally got my Vintage Air gen iv mock up kit. It'll be a tight fit but it will work. I'm working on my defrost ducts as tarheel suggested...worked out perfectly to give me room for wiper motor access. I found an outdoor electrical box as I was hoping to give me a sealable door into the cowl from under the dash. For those of you who have unmodified '57's that may be thinking about the gen iv...as I mentioned it will fit. I am installing it as far to the right cowl/side, and as high and away from the firewall as I can to give me more room for wiper access. Where I am mounting it, it would eliminate most if not all of the glovebox. (I had already eliminated the radio and glovebox from the dash)   Rich