News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exhausted

Started by junior58, 2013-10-08 15:56

Previous topic - Next topic

junior58

I am looking at replacing the exhaust on my Fairlane (factory dual exhaust, 4 barrel 312) but am undecided on dual 2.25" or 2.5". I will be retaining the factory manifolds and the engine will be staying stock. Any thoughts? Thanks, Steve.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Ford Blue blood

2.5 will only give fitment issues, 2.25 won't be much better.  Stick with the stock size as it will flow all your engine can put out.  Go with better flowing mufflers.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Oh, sorry....clicked on this thread thinking it was about being old and tired.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

junior58

Haha, funny Rich.
I am liking to go slightly bigger to get rid of the cackle and give it more of a rumble, will definitely be giving it a balance pipe, which the stock system doesn't have.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

petew

I agree with Blue Blood stick with the 2" pipe . Since you are using stock manifolds on a stock engine there really isn't much to gain with larger pipes. I will be running 2" duals on my wagon when it's done with Porter steel pack mufflers.
      A balance tube will actually make the car quieter . I run two chamber series 40 Flowmaster mufflers on my 56 Merc and it sounds great but I think the Porters will sound better based on the youtube clips I have seen.

TexasFordGuy

What length Porters?
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

petew

Haven't decided yet, I'm going to put stock head pipes on and take some measurements. Probably go with the shorter ones .

Jeff Norwell

Porters in my opinion.... sound simply the best.I own them on several cars.You can order any length needed with Porter.They will do any custom size you need.... pipe dia. or size.... they will custom make you any size needed for the body of the muffler.They are a steel packed muffler.... have a great sound and not overbearing.
I used Smithys once.... no..twice.... hated them....
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57 Ford Kustom

Jeff, I agree with you on the Smithy's. I have them on my car and they are way to abbrasive for me, I like a nice sound, not necessarily a loud one! Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57 Ford Kustom

Jeff, you were right on the porter's! I googled them, and there were a ton of you tube vids on vehicle's with porter mufflers, sweeeeeet sound! Just what I want. Tim  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Jeff Norwell

Tim..... I am pretty sure you will love them..... great sound...not tinny or hollow like a Modern Borla or Flowmaster,etc,etc.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com