News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Exterior mirrors

Started by 65kcode, 2013-11-25 14:50

Previous topic - Next topic

65kcode

I can't find where this has been discussed anywhere, thru a search. 

What are you guys using for exterior mirrors on your 57?  Anybody try a 65-6 Mustang Shelby bullet mirrors?

Kevin

RICH MUISE

LOL...I've had almost as tough a time deciding on what mirrors I'll use as I do trying to figure out which wheels I want. I know the bullet ones you're talking about, they are some of the ones I'm considering. I've seen some awesome NOS ones on ebay, but the last pair I was watching went for 450 bucks. ouch. I saw a really neat mirror at Socal Speed shop for a '67 Chevy..forget which model, but it had a really nice swan shape to the neck. It's one of those things I forget to look at at car shows. I don't want the peep mirrors that attach to the top of the door...at least I don't think so, well, maybe.
'63 Galaxie's had a mirror that somewhat mimics the '63 Galaxie tailights I'm using. That's another of my considerations, but only because of my tailights.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

Rich, I believe they are re-popping the Shelby mirrors now, $450 is toooo muuuch..lol

Kevin

RICH MUISE

I didn't type that statement real well. The 450. were not for shelby mirrors, but some 60's chrysler mirrors. I actually saw another set of Chevy mirrors I probably would have bought except they had the bowtie on them.

JimNolan

Rich,
   For correct fender mirrors, it depends on which month your car was assembled. Pre January 1957 mirrors were the round Yankee tri-bar mirror that was on the 1956 Fairlanes. After Jan 1957 the 57 Fairlane fender mirror was square. The only reason to  pay $450.00 for mirrors is because they are NOS and are the ones that go on your car if you're making it correct. I think I paid $400.00 for mine but they were NOS and I wanted my car to be original in appearance and manufacture.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

i wish you hadn't said anything about how much the mirrors are worth,   now i have to worry about someone swipping them,  i havn't posted in so long i just wanted to c if i remembered.

lowrider

Hang a cheap peep mirror on until you find what you want. I put a peep mirror on mine because I couldn't see drilling holes in the fender.

junior58

If you are paying $400 for the square one, I hate to think what my spotlight / mirror is worth
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

RICH MUISE

Definetly don't see a whole lot of those around...have no clue what the going rate is for them. The 400 price range Jim and I brought up were for pairs of NOS, with NOS definetly being the key word. There can't be a whole lot of guys paying that kinda money for them if for no other reason than there aren't a whole lot of nos pairs to be sold. With that said, and some of the prices I've seen on ebay in the last year, if I saw a NOS version of yours witha 1500 price tag, it wouldn't surprise me. Don't know if it would sell, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

JimNolan

Quote from: junior58 on 2013-12-04 02:37
If you are paying $400 for the square one, I hate to think what my spotlight / mirror is worth
I can easily see a NOS spot light like you have going for $1500.00. There are two types of people that would pay $450.00 for a pair of NOS mirrors. 1. A guy who has plenty of money, sinks $50K in a car just to show it off on Sunday's. 2. A guy without very much money but would rather sink $50K in a car and drive every day there wasn't snow on the ground instead of sinking the same money into a new car. When you sink a lot of money in an old car it's because you're committed to driving a really nice old car, it's not a hobby with you anymore. I fall into the latter category.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.