News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

9 inch, big bearing,rear end

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-09-02 10:16

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Looking for a big bearing 9 inch rear end (from a Ranchero or Wagon), within 200 miles of Louisville Ky., or along the way between Louisville Kentucky and Atlanta Georgia, as I make that trip frequently.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

good luck...they should be out there. If you happen to run across one that's been narrowed, has 3.50 trac-loc, and disc brakes, let me know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Just spent a half hour on the phone with him. Seems like a very knowledgeable and experienced guy. Not sure I got his last name correct but it's Tom Flemming (or similarsounding). He's going to call back with a price on new 3.50 gears, a rebuilt trac loc he has, custom chrome molly axels, shortening, bearings,disc brakes, and a taller yoke. I'll verify his last name when he calls back, maybe he's got a reputation in the NM/Albur. area. Thanks for posting that, Sandiaman...much appreciated.
He has his own disc brake setup he designed using a gm style caliper, and does not use the drum type parking brake, which he doesn't like. He has the weld-on type caliper mounting brackets water jet cut, and has drilled out his components so that everything is easily assembled with sockets....something I think all the guys were having trouble with when trying to adapt the explorer brakes (which he has a few sets of, btw, in stock)
Just realized I posted this using John's dime...sorry about the hijack!!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BBoswell

John, this doesn't help you but for you Ford guys out here on the west coast there is a fellow here in Central Oregon that does pretty much the same thing. He is a one man shop and does street rods, muscle cars and custom rear ends. He is also a dealer for Currie, Dutchman and Eaton. He has rebuilt the rear ends in both my Ranchero and Custom 300 and they work great. His name is Roy and the name of his shop is Roy's Differentials. Located in Eugene, Oregon. Phone is 541-915-0820.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-09-02 11:18
good luck...they should be out there. If you happen to run across one that's been narrowed, has 3.50 trac-loc, and disc brakes, let me know.

Rich.......when I find the SECOND One, like you described, I'll call you!!
John

SkylinerRon

Rich,
I would just get any 9" and have it shortened and put the late Torino ends
on it because all the makers use this as the basis for disc brake kits.
The later housings are much stronger than the 57 is and why butcher a
housing that someone can use stock?

Ron.

rmk57

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-09-03 00:13
Rich,
I would just get any 9" and have it shortened and put the late Torino ends
on it because all the makers use this as the basis for disc brake kits.
The later housings are much stronger than the 57 is and why butcher a
housing that someone can use stock?

Ron.

^^^^What he said.

The original 57 housings are the weakest of them all.
I've dealt with Dutchman motorsports in Portland, Oregon with good results.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429