UPDATE Body Mount Kits for Wagons / Sedan Deliveries / Rancheros

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-07-17 06:27

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Can those of you that have Rancheros / Wagons / Sedan Deliveries, that have removed the bodies from the frame, please tell me what you used in reassembling the body to the frame. SkyLinerRon tells me that the front mounting points are the same as a Customs, which is good news. Therefore part of the Carpenter Kit will work on my Ranchero. What did you do for the balance of the mounts?
Thanks
John

I received my body kit from Concourse yesterday. The various pieces are bagged in zip lock bags and the bags are hand numbered with a sharpie.The parts look very good to me. If there is a Carpenter connection, it is no where to be seen. Any questions, let me know.

Thor

KYBlueOval

SkylinerRon

Concours sells Carpenter rubber but, strangely list the apps differently.

Guess someone will have to buy and try em.

I'm sure from my research the front half of the chassis is the same and i think
the rear is the same except maybe more or less number of mounts.

As an interesting sidenote I gave Dennis Sr the NOS mount parts he used to repop
decades before I found out Retracts are totally different mounts.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Thor

John,
With Ron's comment I would contact Concours and make sure the kit fits a Ranchero. I have not purchased or used this kit myself. I had saved this link recently and remembered that it didn't exclude the Ranchero like others had.

RICH MUISE

Ditto what Ron said...Carpenter is the only mfg. on this kit....doesn't necessarily mean their usability info is the correct one though, imho. As requested earlier, it would be great if some Ranchero owners would give some input on what has been used.
My best guess is it's more of a quantity of each pn that varies rather than something totally different. I think at one time individual components were available from Carpenter if you didn't need the whole kit or needed extras of something. Hmmm...there's got to be a part number breakdown somewhere in the manuals.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-07-19 07:02
Ditto what Ron said...Carpenter is the only mfg. on this kit....doesn't necessarily mean their usability info is the correct one though, imho. As requested earlier, it would be great if some Ranchero owners would give some input on what has been used.
My best guess is it's more of a quantity of each pn that varies rather than something totally different. I think at one time individual components were available from Carpenter if you didn't need the whole kit or needed extras of something. Hmmm...there's got to be a part number breakdown somewhere in the manuals.
I plan to call both Concourse and Carpenter this week and find out what the differences are.......if any. My recollection is that while looking at the Concourse site, I believe I saw some individual parts and pieces. When I get this all sorted out, I'll make a new post and tell the Forum what I found.
My next "search" is for front and rear sway bars. I've read over a multitude of posts on the subject and I believe it comes down to these choices for me...........1)Re do the stock set up, new bushings etc. 2) The Quickor  bar that is for/from a '59 and requires new mounting holes in the lower control arms and a couple of '59 brackets, which should be relatively easy to do with the frame on a rotisserie 3) the Concourse bar that appears to hang down quite a bit and has some bottoming out issues on lowered cars. Mine will be down 2 1/2 inch with the Drop 'em Stop 'em kit I purchased, so I have concerns with this one. As to the rear, I'll go parts hunting for the Suburban rear bar I read about here on the Forum.
I readily take advise on anything I'm doing with this car.......so do not hesitate to tell me, I'm crazy, or do not do that.......do this!
You won't hurt my feelings. All the comments to date have been great and welcomed.
John

hiball3985

Looking forward to what you find out. I seem to recall the mounts for the Ranchero/wagon were listed separately at one time but I haven't seem them listed anywhere anymore. I'm using the Concourse bars and with the drop of the Granada spindles I have bottomed it out more then a few times, I redrilled the mounting holes which moved it up about 1/2-3/4", that helped but it still does it on steep drive ways and gutters crossing streets with high crowns..
I have 14" wheels, I think if I had 15" that would help also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-07-19 10:12
Looking forward to what you find out. I seem to recall the mounts for the Ranchero/wagon were listed separately at one time but I haven't seem them listed anywhere anymore. I'm using the Concourse bars and with the drop of the Granada spindles I have bottomed it out more then a few times, I redrilled the mounting holes which moved it up about 1/2-3/4", that helped but it still does it on steep drive ways and gutters crossing streets with high crowns..
I have 14" wheels, I think if I had 15" that would help also.
Thanks for the reply and information. I'll be running 15 inch wheels, but the steep drive ways and those concrete curved gutters, where the driveway meets the street would present an issue every time I'd drive it, not to mention the high crown issue. I'm inclined to shy away from the Concourse bar for those reasons.........but I really do appreciate the input and first hand experience.

djfordmanjack

John, I have my Ranch Wagon body off the frame and I have the Custom/Sedan body mount kit( because that's all I could buy). I see no reason why it shouldn't work. all the rubber donuts and hardware/bolts/nuts/washers are the same (even if the Ranchero/wagon chassis has a different layout in rear bodymounts than the sedan/others) maybe there is a small difference in the rectangular rubber pads, that go under the cowl legs and under the rearmost body mounts, but I found them to be pretty much if not exactly the same.
the number of body mounts used is the same ( if I recall right there are 14 donuts) even the 4 special washer shims that go in some points of the body mouts are included and the same.
hope that helps.
Guenter

KYBlueOval

Guenter, thanks for the reply. I have suspected that there was not much, difference, and I think whatever difference is in the rear most mounts under the tailgate.I'm calling Carpenter and Concourse today to find out what they about their respective kits.
Carpenters listing says their kit does not fit Wagons and Rancheros and Concourse says their kit does.
BTW.........beautiful country where you live. Been there many times. Great people, very hospitable.

djfordmanjack

Those front and rear  rectangular rubber pads could be cut from stock easily, if they were different from the kit. also different length  hex bolts can be obtained from another source or the original bolts reused. I saved all the original hardware from my  wagon so in case somethings missing in the kit I will be able to restore the og washers, nuts or bolts. I found all the rubber parts correct.
Glad you like Austria and I am thankful to live here. Just last weekend I was cruising the small winding country roads with my other vintage car. If you plan to come over another time, let me know and we'll arrange a meeting somewhere !!

Limey57

My Ranchero came with a complete new body mount kit, sadly it wasn't in the original packaging so I don't know who made it or what it was intended for, but I can confirm that they all fitted well.
Gary

1957 Ranchero