News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radiator for 57 Ford with 302

Started by Ecode70D, 2015-08-17 05:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm looking for a company that sells  radiators for a 57 Ford with a 302 engine and actually post the prices.  This is for my brother on the west coast and he knows less about computers that I do.    I was able to find Griffin on the computer but they make you jump through hoops for a price and I still don't know how much they want for for one.
  If someone would let me know of a company sells them, is easy to deal with and lists the price that would be nice. 
   Last year I bought a gas tank from Classic Auto glass for my custom.  They posted the price and were real easy to deal with.   Frustrated Jay

lalessi1

Jay, my car had a 302/AOD in it when I bought it and it had a stock 6 cylinder radiator that seemed to work fine.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Jay....Auto city classic that you got your tank from is where alot of us have got the aluminum radiator. available in 6 or 8 cyl. versions.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
     THAT MAKES IT REAL EASY!!!!!
      I'll give him a call and tell him that.   I already sent him the info on Classic because he happens to need a gas tank too.  He is about 4 years older than me and in poor health but somehow is still playing with his 57 Ford.   Thanks   Jay 

RICH MUISE

I just checked their site to see if they ever got the 6 cyl. pics straightened out. The v-8 radiator I got had the outlets as shown on their v-8 radiator pics..top right and bottom left. I told them back a few years ago that what they were showing for the 6 cyl. outlet positions was incorrect for the bottom, at least compared to my 6 cyl oem. Their pics show the 6cyl bottom oulet on the left. He had asked me what the '57 radiators with the two oulets on the left fit, and I told him "nothing oem as far as I knew".
Long story short....I haven't heard from anyone that bought their 6 cyl version, so I don't know if their outlets  actually are as pictured. If a 6 cyl radiator is what he needs to match up engine hose positions, I'd call and ask them to do a visual check.

Ecode70D

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-08-17 06:02
Jay, my car had a 302/AOD in it when I bought it and it had a stock 6 cylinder radiator that seemed to work fine.
Just curious...

What side are the  6 cylinder radiator  fittings on?  When I was putting my 57 together, I used 6 cylinder radiator straps so my 8 cylinder radiator placing my core about 2" forward.  The reason for that was at the time I was thinking about moving to Arizona and was going to install my not original ac unit. That never happened.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-08-17 06:30
  Long story short....I haven't heard from anyone that bought their 6 cyl version, so I don't know if their outlets  actually are as pictured. If a 6 cyl radiator is what he needs to match up engine hose positions, I'd call and ask them to do a visual check.

Rich
     Doing a visual is a good place for him to start.  I have found that some 302 engines have the water pump inlet on the left and some have it on the right.  I'll call him a tell him to make sure of what side he needs his radiator outlets on before he places an order.

lalessi1

I will check, the radiator is in my garage attic. Will let you know later today.
Lynn

Ecode70D

Thanks Lynn
    I need  to know that.
Jay

lalessi1

I found an old picture. The upper hose is a little rigged, I forgot about that. The bottom outlet is on the same side of the radiator as I remember, but I'll still check. The radiator is also a two pass.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Just to make sure we're all on the same page...As far as the AutoCity radiators...it's the bottom outlet that is in question on the 6 cyl radiator because of the picture on their website. and that needs to be clarified with Auto City as to which side it is actually on...as in the pic or as oem.
oem V-8 radiator has the inlets top right and bottom left (as does Auto City's)

I believe the following info has been confirmed by others on this forum:
oem 6 cyl radiator has the inlets top left and bottom right (not as shown in Auto City website pic). It'll be interesting to see where Lynn's bottom outlet is.

Also, I believe the Auto City 6 cyl radiator is side flanged like the 6 cyl. oem's so that the radiator is moved forward away from the engine. Once again, it would be nice if someone has purchased a 6 cyl radiator from them so all this discusion can be confirmed.

lalessi1

Well here it is... I will be glad to measure or whatever. The 302 had a 2 1/2" fan spacer and a 5 blade Ford flex fan.  :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

:003:
Exactly per script!! 6 on the left with the lower outlet on the right. Good pic for showing the flange's mounting positions also. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
Rich

Ecode70D

Lynn
   Thanks for posting the picture of the 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. radiators  side by side.
    I left a message for my brother that he has to take a careful check of where his outlets are before ordering his new radiator.  Hope that he gets it right.  Jay 

Allen

You can get waterpumps for the 302 that have the inlet on either side depending on which car they came in.  What those cars are i don't know, I have seen engines in streetrods with said options.