!!!! LIFE THREATENING REPRODUCTION/relined BRAKE LININGS/shoes !!!!

Started by djfordmanjack, 2020-08-17 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2020-08-18 13:15
these are the rear brakes on my 57 9" rearend ( 1957 Country Sedan wagon).

Günter
     How did you get the wagon home?  Did you have it towed?  That's real scary.   
    Jay

djfordmanjack

thx for your concerns, Jay. I was less than 1/2 a mile from home so I managed to drive it back under its own power, dragging the brakes.
shoes and wheel brake cylinders have since been replaced and waiting to go on a test drive soon. I want to have the 57CS inspected next week so I can drive it on regular plates until snow comes in.
From now on I will only buy riveted shoes or drill/countersink/rivet bonded aftermarket linings, if nothing else is available.

Fabulous50s

What type of rivets do you use Guenther? Would a 3/16" standard pop rivet work? Obviously properly drilled and countersunk.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

thomasso

Not Guenther.  Absolutely not. Brake shoe rivets are dedicated for that purpose, most are brass and come in different sizes and lengths. A proper rivet setting tool is a must.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

John Palmer

Quote from: thomasso on 2020-08-21 14:50
Not Guenther.  Absolutely not. Brake shoe rivets are dedicated for that purpose, most are brass and come in different sizes and lengths. A proper rivet setting tool is a must.

X2

djfordmanjack

I am using (hollow) brass or copper rivets and a proper rivet setting tool that can be bought at many antique car stores like Ecklers. it comes with several different dies according to each rivet size.

Fabulous50s

Back in my own VW days, I recall all of my (rear) shoes being riveted. As well as the front pads. Got them aftermarket, maybe Raybestos. That was in the late 90s. I've had excellent luck with my local parts stores. But it seems the race to the bottom is with the chain stores with "the lowest price around". Pretty much all parts coming out of China.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

hiball3985

Glad you made it home safely G. Luckily there was no damage to the drums, no one that I know of makes wagon/ranchero replacement drums, that scares me just thinking about it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang