News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Roll bar addition

Started by rmk57, 2021-01-04 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

After a lot of thought I decided I'm going to take the plunge and add a 6-point roll bar. The ship has sailed on it ever being a nice daily driver anyways and I find I have more fun with it out at the Friday night races or nostalgia drags. Nhra says 11.49 or quicker and you need one, I go deeper 11's now and although I haven't been told to put one in but I would rather do it now than later. I started mocking up a roll bar out of electrical conduit which I can get my local hot rod shop to bend me up the tube I need.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

Put your seat in where you feel comfortable first. Check out the door bar location, I like mine as low as the rules allow because crawling in and out in the summer is a pain. You might want a smaller diameter steering wheel. If I remember correctly the bar must be welded to the frame.

Good luck,

Ron

Fairlane62

Yes, frame cars require the roll bar to be attached to the frame.  You'll need to weld out-riggers from the frame and cut a hole in the floor for the bars to weld to the out-rigger.

rmk57

I marked out the height of the seat back / shoulder height as the where the crossbar will go. The door bar has to pass between your shoulder / elbow and I will probably use a swing out door bar to getting in and out easier. Technically I don't need a door bar on the passenger side so I might leave it out, it will also make installing the front seat easier. I already have a couple holes cut  for the main hoop which will welded directly to the frame, outriggers from the inside rocker to the frame rail for the front of the side bars. The rear bars will go to rear of the wheel well to the frame. I'm hoping I can keep the rear seat just for looks, not that I would put anyone back there anyways.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

SkylinerRon

I'd try to get the rear down bars to meet the frame above the rear axle centerline. That will give you a crush zone in the rear and a stronger cage around you.

Ron.