News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Valvoline VR1 racing oil

Started by rmk57, 2022-01-02 17:59

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I know there's a lot of people who think Quaker State is the worst oil out there. 40+ years ago when I had my Boss engine in for head O-ring replacement at John Halls Car Craft in North Van.

Dave Dunbar was doing all the engine work on the Trans-Am 1970 Boss 302 back then. In the corner of the shop was a 45 gallon drum of Quaker State oil that caught my eye and I asked him

is that the oil you use in the race car? He told me that's all we use in it and we have never ever lost an engine in the race car.

My Boss 429 at the time was missing the factory engine oil cooler setup at time. When I had the car down there for him to check out he had noticed it, went in to back room and came out 

with a complete oil cooler setup from some other Boss car. I asked what do you want for it? He told me don't worry about. I had to force $100 on him for it. He was a great Ford tuner for

sure and really knew the performance Fords in and out.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

FiveSevenLiter

John Hall's Car Craft and Dave were great supporter of Quaker State.  If you took your own oil in, he would not put it in the car.  His guarantee was only good if Quaker State was in the car.
Bud at High Performance Engines, Jack at Pro Speed, Kerrisdale, Davenport, Howie Stevens, Weissach, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche to name a few were all Big Q guys.
At that time it was all Penn Grade base stock, over the years it changed.  Quaker State, Pennzoil, Wolf's Head and Kendall were all using Penn Grade base stock.
In the late 70's the bathtub brewers moved in with their magic syrups, and the industry changed.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-01-04 02:39
BREAK-IN OILS - https://authenticpick.com/best-break-in-oil-for-rebuilt-engine/#first
That is certainly an odd "review" of "break in oils", especially since 1/2 of them were not even labeled as such, or even mentioned anything about engine break in. Fighting sludge is hardly a concern on a break in procedure, one said safe for "flat tapestry" (??) engines, another says may cause leaks from the jar (??). Seems like just an ad for purchasing engine oil thru Amazon, of which about 1/2 listed are actual break in oil. Strange
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

I quit reading it after about the forth review. It reads like the instruction manual on a $99 Chinese drill press.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429