News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fender Bolts

Started by mbell, 2015-03-26 20:41

Previous topic - Next topic

mbell

What is the proper fender bolt to use? Black Oxide or Silver Cad? I have had my car since 1966 and could swear that the under hood bolts were silver. Everyone is telling me that the judging standard is black.

I would appreciate the input.
Thanks

Randyh

The parts manual calls out bolts with S8 finish which is zinc plate. 

mbell

Thank You, I knew these bolts were not black. Can you provide a copy of this? If I take the car to a serious show; the judges are going to tell me the fender bolts should be black.

Randyh

I am going to take back the zinc finish recommendation.  I was going over the parts book again and it does not to look to be correct for many of the fender fasteners and finish.  The diagram in the illustration manual shows 20347, that is a 5/16-24x3/4" hex head bolt (no washer).  The original bolts used to fasten the inner fender to the fender on my car are 5/16-24x1-1/8" hex serrated washer head with lead. I took one out of an original fender to verify this.    This would be a 353483-S2 bolt which is shown in the text manual to be used for the fender to apron and cowl.  Sorry for my mistake.  I am finding that there are many discrepancies between the parts manual and an actual car.
Randy

mbell

Look at the factory picture on the Ford.com site under models 70B/checking the oil. The fender bolts to fender liner are zinc plated.

RICH MUISE

One of the nice things about not buiding a car back to factory specs....I've got a bag of shiney polished stainless flanged bolts just waiting for their home.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mbell

The polished stainless will look good.

Ford back in 57 used what was in the parts bin at the time. I have a friend that has an original untouched 57. The fender bolts on the side are black; the bolts that hold the rear of the fender that go into the fire wall are zinc plated. I just think that when mine was built;they used all zinc plated bolts on the front clip.