News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finned aluminum valve covers

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-03-29 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I was just wondering.  Would someone please tell me how to easily tell the difference between original and reproduction Thunderbird finned aluminum valve covers. 
Thanks Jay

JPotter57

Not sure, but I do know that either one are expensive, so I would rather have the real ones.  From what I have seen, they both run around $400 pair or so.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

The repos have some small differences.  The detail I noted is that the letters are not as sharp on the repos.  Often the originals have a bunch of pits or pores in the castings as do the repos.  I had one repo that was not square on the head.   
I think either are fine for most applications.  The repos can be bolted right on while most originals will require a ton of polishing to make look decent.  The pits in the originals take a lot of work to get the casting flaws out.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ecode70D

This is what the ones on my car look like.  I do see pores in them.   I do realize that my 57 custom would not have come with this type of rocker covers.  To me they just look nicer than the tin ones so that's why I put them on the car.   It just would be nice to know that they are real ones.   Thanks for your opinions.

wildhog

E CODE judging from the amount of pores in your castings, I would think they are a sand casting, that were made in Mexico a few years ago. I bought a set off of Ebay from a guy in Texas, and they were good enough for a drag car, but never would make it on a show car. I also bought a pr. to fit a 56 Lincoln 368 and they were a better casting. Still not perfect. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ecode70D

Thanks Tom
     That's what I kinda suspected.  They will have to do for now.  I'll just be happy if I get the car finished enough to get it on the road and driving this coming summer. 
Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: wildhog link= but never would make it on a show car. I also bought a pr. to fit a 56 Lincoln 368 and they were a better casting. Still not perfect. Tom
/quote]

Talk about not good enough for a show car, this set was on my friends 57 Thunderbird.  He actually took this set off of his car because according to the judges they were not nice enough and they took points off.  He then bought another new set of covers.  Man I sure am glad that I'm not into that show stuff.  These are a lot nicer than the ones on my car.  I do notice that the 4 detail marks in the head of the bird are different from the covers on my car.

I'm going to have to buy a set of the longer rocker cover studs for the aluminum heads.  Who sells them and how much are they going for ?

Thanks and have a Happy Easter. Jay

wildhog

You can buy the longer studs from any of the T-Bird parts houses and the washers and acorn nuts. There not very bad in price. Tom

rmk57

I've always liked the look of the t-bird rocker covers. I wish they made them like that for my 460. :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

RMK57
    There are times when I think that Ford missed the boat. 
     If they made that type of cover for the Fe and 460 series, think about all the people that would have bought them.
      They made nice ones for the small blocks and people are still buying them as well as the Y blocks.
     By the way I forgot the proper term for the 460 series.  Do you know what it is?

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-03-30 20:37

Talk about not good enough for a show car, this set was on my friends 57 Thunderbird.  He actually took this set off of his car because according to the judges they were not nice enough and they took points off.

Those judges are not always right, specially with Fords, parts often came from several suppliers and there are at times slight variations for the same parts. Seen it more than once.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

wildhog

First of all let me say the Thunderbird valve cover is probably the best looking alum. valve cover,ever made by any car manufacturer. Now that being said I am tired of seeing them on ever Y-block, just as I am tired of the Cobra v.c. on evey small block and vette v.c.s on every scrub. I think it great to see Y-blocks with Fenton, Moon, Edelbrock, Edmans or Offie's. Any of the old school stuff. Our member Allan from New Zealand (kiwi ragtop) is building a y with Fenton 2x4 intake,Fenton valve covers and Fenton cast headers. This will be a great looking engine, when it is done.

gasman826

Missed one!!!

rmk57

Everyone has their favorites, these are mine.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429