News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finned aluminum valve covers

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-03-29 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhog

I had a pr. of the Mack Truck Valve covers on a F.E. for a while, I was just naming the Y-block covers I could think of forgot Thomas . I am sure there are more. Again the T-Birds are good looking, I just like it when some one trys to be different.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

ragtop

I like the no name

Frankenstein57

Sweet engine compartment :naughty: :hello2:

Tom S

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-03-31 10:13There are times when I think that Ford missed the boat.  If they made that type of cover for the Fe and 460 series, think about all the people that would have bought them.
Yup, that's exactly what I think too.  You would think that they would have at least made them for FEs considering all the T-Birds that later came with 390s.
I had a set on my '56 Tudor Ranch Wagon & was supposed to get them back after I sold the wagon.  I never did get them back & now I kick myself every time I see a pic of them.  That's probably my fault & then the guy sold the wagon.  I miss that car.
I was thinking that I would try to adapt those Bird covers to a 302 since I'd probably never have another Y-block.  Now I see that someone is making adapters to put them on 302s. Fairly spendy as I recall.
If some aftermarket outfit would make those T-Bird valve covers that directly bolt on to an FE motor I think they would sell a lot of them.
Quote from: wildhog on 2013-03-31 17:00
First of all let me say the Thunderbird valve cover is probably the best looking alum. valve cover,ever made by any car manufacturer.
Agree 100%.  But I hardly ever see them in person.
Next favorites would be the all finned no name types like Ragtop posted. 

Tom S

Quote from: wildhog on 2013-03-31 18:35
I had a pr. of the Mack Truck Valve covers on a F.E. for a while ...
What do those look like?

wildhog

Us old guys used to call the M/T Mickey Thompson Products Mack Truck because of the M-T     Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Tom S

I thought that might be the case.   I'm older than you but don't recall hearing that one.  Don't like the look of those.

Ecode70D

I'm old too and I never heard them referred to as Mack Truck covers also.  It just goes to show you that you learn something every day.

I too  agree that the Thunderbird valve covers are the most beautiful covers that I have ever seen. 

Tom sorry to hear that you missed that set.   I would be willing to bet that if the guy kept his part of the deal that you would still have them today.  I bought that set that's on my car when I didn't even have a Y block and didn't even think that I would ever have one again.  I just had to have them..

Someone once told me that the all finned no name ones bring more money than the Tbird ones.  I don't know how true that is though.

Zapato

I like the ribbed ones that go diagonally across the top rather than lengthwise. Not cheap in this area. The T-bird is tough to beat.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-04-02 22:38
I like the ribbed ones that go diagonally across the top rather than lengthwise.
Diagonal fins/ribs?  I can't feature any like that. :dontknow: Tell us more.

Ecode70D

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-03 06:40
Diagonal fins/ribs?  I can't feature any like that. :dontknow: Tell us more.

WOW!!!   I'm learning all kinds of stuff on this forum.
   Does someone have a picture them ?  That's another thing that I have never known about. 

rmk57

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-04-02 22:38
I like the ribbed ones that go diagonally across the top rather than lengthwise. Not cheap in this area. The T-bird is tough to beat.

C'mon, It's not April fools anymore.   :003:
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

ragtop

thay make finned aluminum valve covers for FEs also mooneyes has them and y-block vally covers

JPotter57

Here is a pic of one...pretty cool stuff.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-04-03 19:34
Here is a pic of one...pretty cool stuff.

I've seen a lot of rocker covers in my life, but never anything like those. There very unique looking
but I'd have to pass.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429