News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Contact needed for 57 glass

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-04-28 17:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

My brother in Arizona needs a back / rear windshield for his 57 Ford 4 door hardtop.  Does someone have an address I can forward to him?  It seems I heard that Rich bought a new windshield  somewhere in the west coast.   It's too bad because I know where there is one right near my house here in Mass.  I  just don't want to get into crating and sending one all the way across the country.  The body code on his car is 57A.   
Thanks Jay

rmk57

Bobs classic auto glass. Eugene, Oregon. They usually have a few on e-bay.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

sprink88

Auto city Classics has one for $275 for a 2dr hardtop
~Chris

Ecode70D

Thanks Guys....

RMK   I'll  check Google for the contact information on Bob's auto glass

Sprink... Is the rear glass the same for the 2dr hardtop and the 4dr hardtop?

suede57ford

All fairlanes series cars should use the same rear and front glass(except the back window on a retract).
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

sprink88

Auto city is showing that it is different. You can check out their site. But the 2 door is a different model number than the 4 door.

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=286&Itemid=41
~Chris

RICH MUISE

Jay....have your brother check out the swap meet schedules for auto city classic..maybe they are doing one in Phoenix coming up and can have one there. They were just at the Pate swap meet. If nothing else, if he can catch up with them at a show maybe he can get a break on the shipping. I bought my back glass from them...my front glass was years ago, but "vintage... something", Georgia? btw, I asked the auto city classic guy about the finish on the new gas tanks and he didn't have a clue.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
     That's a great idea.  I'll contact Auto City Classics tomorrow to find out if they will be doing a Phoenix swap meet.  It would be a lot better for my brother to pick it up there instead of having it shipped.  I have their telephone number. 
    His car isn't finished anyways, so it's not that critical when he gets the glass.
Jay

RICH MUISE

Jay...I got to thinking about this..they may not even make one for a 4 door. It's only been the past few years that they even had backglass for any of the '57's. If Auto city doesn't have one, then the Bob's out of oregon would be my second place to look. And a head's-up...The back glass I got, btw has a series of dimples in it along the top edge that I don't think will be covered by the seal. Apparently, at least Classic Auto's manufacturer uses tongs or clamps with teeth to hold the glass when it goes in the ovens for tempering..When I called them about it they said they all had the dimples. At least at the time it was either accept it or no glass, so I kept it.
If they don't make one, let me know and I'll check my photos from Desert Valley to see if I can see a four door with glass. That would be a "local" pickup for him if they do. I'm wondering if the 4 dr hardtop uses the same glass as a 4 dr sedan???

Ecode70D

"If they don't make one, let me know and I'll check my photos from Desert Valley to see if I can see a four door with glass. That would be a "local" pickup for him if they do. I'm wondering if the 4 dr hardtop uses the same glass as a 4 dr sedan???"

Rich
     I called Auto City Classics 1800 828 2212 and they stated that model 57A  four door hard top rear glass is not made in reproduction. Four door sedan will not fit.

I also called Bob's Classics Auto glass to check with them and can't get through.  1800 624 2130

Please take a look at your pictures to see if they have one at Desert Valley.

If all of this fails, my next step would be to see if someone is willing to transport the one that I have available it to Az. 

Thanks Jay

Jeff Norwell

My pal donnie is finishing his 57 custom and got all his tinted glass from Bob's place(all glass)... roughly $1100 bucks...I think.
Great quality and he is very happy.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

Jay..just checked thru all my pics..no 4 dr hardtops..very little of anything had glass anyway.
Wouldn't hurt to give them a call. You would want the Casa Grande location..I believe I posted their link in the salvage yard thread.

RICH MUISE

Jeff...speaking of contacts. If you need someone to restore that top rear window trim, I ran into this guy at the Pate swap meet in Texas. Their table of samples was top notch all the way. They restore pot metal and aluminum and stainless....and they are somewhat in your neck of the woods...at least from a Texan's viewpoint.
Iverson Automotive
Minnetonka, Mn. 800-325-0480
www.iversonautomotive.com

Ecode70D

Rich
    Thanks for taking the time to look through the pictures for me today.

My brother called Desert Valley today.   The person on the phone stated that he is looking right at a 57 4 dr hardtop and it does not have the back glass in it and that he does not have the one my brother needs in the yard..

So I think that after the Big swap meet next week I will go and get that one on the 4 dr hardtop that my friend has and hold onto it until we figure out how to get it transported to AZ.

FWIW  I bought a 57 2 door station wagon today and didn't have my camera with me.
The previous owner took it all apart.  It was previously a California car and the lower panels have no rot in them.  It's going to need some roof  repair though.  If I can get a title for it, I'll put it back together somewhat and sell it.  If not I'll part it out.

The guys on this forum will be allowed to have first refusal on it.

Jay

Ecode70D

[quote Jeff Norwell link
My pal donnie is finishing his 57 custom and got all his tinted glass from Bob's place(all glass)... roughly $1100 bucks...I think.[/quote]

Jeff
   I'm going to call Bob's Classic Auto Glass in Oregon again tomorrow to check them out.  By the time I got back home today after buying the 2dr wagon, it was too late to call them.
Jay