News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 Hood Latch vs. '59 Hood Latch

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-02-03 13:49

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I recently read a E-Bay listing for a '59 Hood Latch that made the claim, that the '59 Hood Latch was an improvement over the '57 and '58 although it looked the same.
Can anyone weigh in on this?    Is the '59 an improvement?   If so, what is different about it?  Are the part numbers the same for all 3 years?
Thanks
John

Zapato

I've read the same thing and actually bought a couple of them, personally see no significant difference in them. Others seem to think so. There is in my opinion only one concern regarding any hood latch and that is it failing and having the hood pop open at speed. I've had that experience once, scarred the hell out of me, and it bent the hell out of he hood. Another time in my 51 it popped up but the secondary catch caught it. Once warned and a steel cable now gives me a greater sense of security.

As far as part numbers am clueless on that point.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

I never thought much about our hoods popping open since they hinge at the front.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

There is a difference, the 59 is simpler with fewer parts. I would be willing to bet the hood latches and releases easier.
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies.
I'll look for a '59 version and see if it works better.
I knew someone on this forum would know the answer.
John

djfordmanjack

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-02-03 15:07
I never thought much about our hoods popping open since they hinge at the front.

yeah Rich? I was going down Long Beach/Paramount, when suddenly my hood popped open, and it didn't stop in the safety catch, because somebody thought that a rusted out spring didn't need replacement. so my hood popped up open more than halfways and I couldn't see ANYTHING in front. going at least 40 to 50mph. I was extremely lucky that the road wasn't crowded and I had observed that no cars were parking at the near curbs before it happened. so I got it to a halt on the right side. first thing was duct tape fixing the safety hook and replacing the spring as soon as I got it home. the hood latch cable needed lubrication.
Funny thing is that when I bought my first 57, the Courier Delivery, the hood popped open too when I hit a bump on a highway bridge at 85mph when I was taking the car home immediately after purchase. luckily the saftey hook catched and I was able to peep over the hood and stop the car safely. I am now always checking hood catches since the second event.
The fault both times was not the Ford design, but neglection and bad alignment. So all, check your hood latches please!

lalessi1

After seeing the question and doing a little research I was amazed to see the difference. I now have to slam my hood (old latch) to close it... a friend has a 60 T-bird with 2 newer latches, one in each corner, all it takes to close that hood is a gentle push to a solid "click". I bought a '59 hood latch today after I sent that response!
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

the ford parks book[the big black one from the 70's]says the 59 latch replaces the 57 and 58 latch

57chero

I put a 59 latch on my ranchero, you can click it shut with one finger.

JPotter57

Very much easier.  I have one on mine, my dad has one on his.  You can push the hood closed with a couple fingers, and it is easier to release.  Like everything else, they are getting tougher to find.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.