'57 9 inch Rear Ends Small Bearing vs. Big Bearing Axles ?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-09-21 06:50

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Are the axle O.D.'s the same or different on axles for a small bearing '57  9 inch vs. a '57  big bearing?  I ask because I want to narrow a '57  9 inch by 3/4' on each side as I've read about here on the forum. I've yet to locate a big bearing '57, but have not given up. While I'm still looking for a big bearing version, I had this thought..........small bearing 9 inch '57 rear ends are plentiful here, so ........can I take a small bearing rear end. Cut off the flanges to narrow it..........buy big bearing flanges and bearings, and use the small bearing axles? This scenario only works, I think, IF, the axle O.D.'s on the small bearing axles and the big bearing axles are the same, which saves me some money by not having to buy new axles. Another thought,........if the axle O.D.'s are different........does anyone know if there is a bearing, with a I.D that fits a small bearing axle, and a O.D. that fits the large bearing flange? As much as I want them to be the same , my hunch is they are not, but The Forum  will know and set me straight. What is the answer guys?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

John...as far as I know the housings are the same except for the ends. and if your having the case narrowed, just have them change it to big bearing ends. Apparently the ends are available to change to whatever configuration you wish.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich........that was my thought as well. What I'm not sure about is the bearing and the O.D. of the small bearing axles. Will the "Big Bearing" work on the axles from a small bearing 9 inch '57 rear end? Or are the axles in a big bearing,  '57 9 inch, larger in diameter? And if they are, is there a "Big Bearing" with a Inside Diameter that fits the small bearing axle? Hope I made that clear. Someone on the Forum knows the answer.
Thanks Rich
John

Partsman

According to the Ford parts catalog the id of the small brg axle shaft is 1 3/8" and the big brg id is 1 17/32".  od of the the small brg is 2 13/16" and the big brg is 3 5/32".
Hope this helps.
Bill

Partsman

I meant id and od of the brgs not the axle shaft. 
Silly me.
Bill

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Partsman on 2015-09-21 11:31
I meant id and od of the brgs not the axle shaft. 
Silly me.
Bill
Thanks Bill..........that answered it and was what I expected, but not what I had hoped for. I'll keep looking for a '57 Big Bearing 9 inch!

rmk57

Why don't you source one out from a f-150? Your going to narrow it anyway and put whatever ends you want on it at the same time.

pickup housings are plentiful , stronger and a lot cheaper than a 57 housing.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

John, I'm curious why you want big bearings if your not going to change the axel shafts? Is this to accomadate a specific disc brake kit that is not available in small bearing kits?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

John, If you want to keep the axles you already have (small bearing) and you want big bearing ends contact a local bearing house and see if a bearing with the large OD and the small OD. There just might be the right combination out there.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-09-21 11:49
John, I'm curious why you want big bearings if your not going to change the axel shafts? Is this to accomadate a specific disc brake kit that is not available in small bearing kits?
Rich, first I'm trying to not buy new axles, just to save some money.And the second answer is yes to the rear brake kit.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: rmk57 on 2015-09-21 11:46
Why don't you source one out from a f-150? Your going to narrow it anyway and put whatever ends you want on it at the same time.

pickup housings are plentiful , stronger and a lot cheaper than a 57 housing.
Very good point. I have a good source for those as well.
Thank you for making me think.
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Zapato on 2015-09-21 19:00
John, If you want to keep the axles you already have (small bearing) and you want big bearing ends contact a local bearing house and see if a bearing with the large OD and the small OD. There just might be the right combination out there.

Zap- :unitedstates:
That is exactly what I hoped someone here on the Forum had already done, thus saving me the time of doing the research.
I'll see what is available.
Thank you.
John

Hoosier Hurricane

If you are going to narrow the rear end 3/4" per side, you cannot use the stock length axles anyway.  You'll need to buy new special axles 3/4" shorter than stock.   John

hiball3985

I'm not familiar with the F-150 rear ends, are they different from the earlier F-100 where the third member/pinion is off set and uses equal length axles?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Hoosier Hurricane on 2015-09-22 06:20
If you are going to narrow the rear end 3/4" per side, you cannot use the stock length axles anyway.  You'll need to buy new special axles 3/4" shorter than stock.   John
Thanks for your interest and reply. I'm not arguing with you, nor am I saying you are incorrect, but I've been told by several very knowledgeable "Ford" guys that the '57 Ford 9 inch axles, small bearing or big bearing, can in fact be cut 3/4 of an inch  per side. They tell me there is enough splined axle remaining, that once you dress the flush cut end ,to look like it did before the cut, that it will slip right in and you have a narrowed 9inch without buying new axles.