News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Independent Rear Suspension, Anyone try this?

Started by Zapato, 2008-06-12 07:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

A parts search on Craigslist showed an IRS setup from a 2000 Mustang Cobra and it got me thinking. Since then was told they were also in same era Thunderbird SC. Has anyone tried doing this to a 57? Would make a terrific road car with 4 wheel independent suspension.

:unitedstates: :hello2:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

F570RD

Sure sounds cool.I'd like to see someones effort.

slowford

One thing to keep in mind is the Thunderbird S/C has a different wheel bolt pattern than 57 Fords.  Instead of the traditional 5x4.5 bolt pattern it is 5x4.25.  You can change the T-bird rear end to the 5x4.5 pattern, but that is just more money.  Or you can use Ford Taurus wheels on the back of your '57 (same 5x4.25 bolt pattern)  :005:  That is why the Mustang Cobra IRS is more desirable for swapping into earlier Fords like ours.

Zapato

Cobra vs. T-bird big price difference, wheels wouldn't be too big an issue. So you actually know someone who's done the Cobra swap?

:unitedstates:
Zapato

slowford

No, I have only seen it done in magazines / on-line.  I don't personally know anyone who has done the Cobra IRS swap.  Would it help if I said I knew someone who did the opposite and put a straight axle up front for no independent wheel suspension??  :003:

Zapato

Slowford, if you remember where you've seen the swap either mag or online I'd appreciate following up on that lead. Straightaxle way too sixties for me really want to end up with a respectable canton cruiser.

:002:
Zapato

DanTudor57

Yup, I've done it. Well, half way through it anyway.

'57 ranch wagon. The rear and leaf springs were completely gone, my option was to find replacement at around $900 around here, or go with the Ford IRS. I used the IRS out of a 91 T-Bird SC.

I bagged it, it is LOW, almost too low.

The COBRA uses 4 x 4.5 bolt pattern, so I used up a favor when I tapped a buddy at the local Ford dealerships' parts counter. He provided the hubs from the Mustang, it was an easy swap. They retail for just over $100 for the pair,

Problem:  This IRS is several inches wider than the rear on our '57s. You'll have to use front wheel drive wheels, and even then you'll get some rubbing on the inside of the wheel well if you don't get the right wheels. This is the biggest problem, and it is a very major problem. I haven't yet addressed this issue, this is where the project stalled on the birth of my daughter. My plan is to get custom backspaced wheels, cut  and rebuild the inner wheel wells, and set some stops on the upper and lower control arms to stop any future rubbing.

Problem: Using this IRS forces the removal of the gas tank in the wagon. I don't know about the sedan. I will need to build a custom gas tank.

The Cobra (the real cobras, not the mustangs) guys use this IRS in their tiny cars, but they narrow it several inches. If you even consider this, you'd be better off buying a custom build IRS.

Zapato

:002:Since first having this idea have followed lots of leads and talked with some other Blue Oval guys and a recent online search led me to Gearheads in North Dakota that makes mounts for this very swap. Will contact them for more info as the picture posted and info is a bit shall we say vague. :us-washington: :Cheshire:
Zapato

DanTudor57

You don't need custom mounts.

If you're brave enough to do this swap, them fabricate your own. It wasn't that difficult.