There is a brace behind the dash. Is it there to support the radio?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2019-04-11 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

There is a stamped brace behind the dash, that mounts  below the top left corner of the speaker opening, and at the bottom, at the base of the dash. It looks to me that it is used to support the radio. (I didn't take the car apart, so I'm guessing as to its use).
Is that correct? If not, what's it used for? There is no radio in the dash, so, can I eliminate it?

djfordmanjack

John, if you mean this, yes the radio has a small bracket that bolts to it.

KYBlueOval

That's it! Well I do not have a radio in the dash, mine is in the console. So, in your opinion can it come out? The dash appears to be strong enough with out that brace. But you have WAY MORE experience with '57 Fords than I do, so I like your opinion.
John

fdlrc

I was able to add a radio, as mine was a radio delete, plus I have room to add Vintage Air Gen IV cold air ducts with only minor trim. I like keeping braces whenever possible. I will Lizard Skin underside.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

Just my 2 cents, but I think it is a lower dash support/brace/stiffner. It's too heavy to be only a radio support brace. Mine was in the way of something, but I moved it rather than remove.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

boys are right !
I have to add though, that there are many things that tie the dashboard together, like the fresh air ducts, steering column aso. so I think the brace could be ommited for strength reasons. you could also replace it with a simple strip of 1/4" x 1" stock or the like. the next question is how to avoid rattling and squeeks. lizzard skin on the back might be a good idea! on og cars there was kind of a yellow insulation pad glued to the back. I would not use it, as it comes off in pieces and leaves debris everytime you try to work under dash/ wiring aso. I think  I personally would rather put insulation rubber or foam between the center console and dash instead of bolting them together in a rigid manner. these cars do flex and I think the center console should be able to move a little. that said, I think the T bird console is screwed to the trans tunnel AND dash in the bird. I will have to go look at my 65 console /dash.

gasman826

If the console fastens to the dash, the brace would not be necessary.  I use butyl tape on joints to reduce squeaks, rattles, and paint chipping.

KYBlueOval

Well obviously I've been thinking about eliminating the brace, as I have no radio in the dash.  And those original radios, especially the T&C Radios , are heavy. I can see where it adds some strength, but as you say, so does the brake pedal assembly and steering column. Your idea to make a smaller brace I like. Thanks for that.
The console that I have ,is mounted to the floor and it is not connected to the dash. There is a 1/8" or less space between the dash and the console. That gap will not be seen unless you are laying down on one of the seats. So, I believe I'm OK there.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-04-12 05:37
boys are right !
II think the T bird console is screwed to the trans tunnel AND dash in the bird. I will have to go look at my 65 console /dash.

In the 64 - 66 Birds it is screwed to both the dash and tunnel.  Removing it from the car reveals a brace from the dash to the tunnel that mounts the radio and HVAC controls. 

I would leave that brace in the dash, looks like a bunch of "flopping" around could happen without it.....and it might have been there to help keep shape because of the speaker weight?????
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II