News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fresh Air Vent Gasket Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-06-20 13:59

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

In trial fitting parts on, and around the dash, I have a question regarding the gasket or gaskets that go on the left fresh air vent. I didn't disassemble this car, so there are some things I need some help with. In the boxes of parts, I found the two gaskets in the photo below.
The ribbed gasket goes on the vent assembly, and when the assembly is installed in the car, the mounting holes, on the bottom of the dash, and the vent assembly, align correctly. So I assume that is correct and it looks and fits correctly.
The second gasket has me baffled. Does it go on this vent assembly? If so........Where does it go? If it does not go on the vent assembly, where is it installed? Is it a '57 part?
Thanks
John

Wirenut

Could it be the gasket that attaches to the flapper mounted inside of the vent housing? It may get sandwiched in between the two flapper pieces, If memory serves me correct that is a two piece part stapled together with a gasket in the middle.

Ford Blue blood

John that goes up against the fire wall before the vent assembly slides on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Bill, I thought the same thing, and installed it as you describe. It is 3/8 of an inch thick, and does not compress very well. When I installed it and then then installed the vent assembly, with the ribbed gasket in place, the mounting holes, at the bottom of the dash were way out of alignment. Maybe that 3/8" rubber gasket got hard over 60 + years.
I'll look to see if replacements are available.
Thanks Bill

John

lalessi1

I don't believe my car had that gasket on the vent cowl opening.
Lynn

gasman826

KYBlueOval

Bill / Gary ......Well I went out to the garage, placed that thick gasket around the 'collar" of the vent and then installed the vent assembly with the ribbed gasket on it. I had to leverage it in place as that thick gasket does not compress willingly, but it is in and thanks for the tutorial.
John

gasman826

Yep, they are a press fit.  Once the gasket takes a set, it will assemble easier.

Ford Blue blood

Most excellent.....mine was the same, philips head driver in the vent through the hole in the dash and that bad boy finally went home.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Bill, that is exactly what I did. Again, thanks for the help.
John