News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Custom Windshield Wiper Assembly

Started by John J Brady, 2023-02-03 16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

John J Brady

Has anyone heard of swapping their 57 cable / pully style windshield assembly with a 58 solid rod style? The body shop unfortunately took my cable and pully system out when they painted the car and I now have the pleasure of reinstalling it. I was told it is a nightmare. Someone mentioned they new a guy who installed a 58 assembly in his 57 Del Rio along with the aftermarket electric motor and it works great. Does anyone have any experience with this. Thank you, John Brady

RICH MUISE

Well, not a '58 assembly, but I did build a complete hard arm assembly to facilitate using a roundy-round Mustang wiper motor located inside the cowl.
That said, be aware that the '57 Ford repair manual has a routing diagram of the cables that is WRONG. There is a very good thread here, on this forum, in the tech area on the correct assembly with pics and diagrams. The thread is pinned to the top of that board, so easy to find. Let us know how the '58 hard arms work out,if you go that route. frankly I've never heard about that option
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

Since the 58 has the wiper motor inside the car, under the cowl, I imagine it would be a fairly involved procedure, especially if the car is complete. I suppose the easiest way would be to find a 58 parts car, and cut out the mounting bracketry for the under dash wiper motor, but guessing that would be a bigger job than putting the factory cable and pulley system back in .
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

In my old memory, I had forgotten that....thanks for the reminder. Yeah, like what I did, not for a car unless in construction stages. As a tease, it IS very nice having multi-speed intermittent wipers, lol.
To add, even if changed to '58 motor, are they even available?
https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=8407.0
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

It certainly is interesting that Ford used a very different wiper and linkage design in each year of the 57 thru 59 Ford cars. 57 with the wiper motor under the hood, with the cable and pulley arrangement, then for 58, put the wiper motor underneath the dashboard, with steel links from the motor to the wiper pivots, then in 59, put the wiper motor back under the hood again, but with steel links under the dashboard. Plus on the 59s, there is no removable cowl panel between the back of the hood, and the windshield, and no screened cowl openings for fresh air into the interior, or the heater. For those 3 years, there was many similiarites, but also many differences as well.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Add to the a 60 wiper motor (under the dash) would bolt up to the 57 plate and work as it should.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

John, it is really not as bad as you might think. I assembled mine as the first project when I bought my car. I had a factory manual that has a bad diagram but I figured out how it had to go. The trick is putting a "pin" to hold the spring tensioners. The write up in this forum is great. It may take a couple of hours but I think it is a lot simpler than cutting up the cowl for the '58 stuff.
Lynn