News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

removing old undercoating 57 ford

Started by barefoot, 2009-08-21 06:48

Previous topic - Next topic

barefoot

i would like to get some advice about removing the old under coating on the frame,fender wells etc.the body is to remain on the frame while  being restored.will steam cleaning do it?any help is appreciated. thanks,  barefoot

JPotter57

Most of the time, you will have to use a scraper.  This stuff is over 50 years old, and usually it will come off in chunks, you just have to help it with a scraper blade.  Steam cleaner probably won't take much of it off.  Lots of work, I think on my last one I spent at least a whole weekend, if not more, and the body was off the frame on mine..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

tarheel57

Theres no easy way to remove this stuff,and yea a scraper works about as good as anything.The only thing when scraping this stuff off is normaly it will pull out the factory rubber sealer that the factory put over all the seams and joints.You want to make sure that you reapply this sealer to all the joints and seams.Good luck. :unitedstates:

Zapato

one of the nastiest jobs in any car restoration, working in a "WELL VENTILATED AREA" you  can scrape most of it off but in some areas you'll want to soften it up using a kerosene soaked rag. Be sure and properly dispose with the rags when you are done, you don't want any visits from your local fire department. I always place a box fan blowing under the car and another one blowing out the shop door. Kerosene smells awful but does the trick.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

2x57sedan

i use a scraper and a propane torch
57 custom sedan
57 failane 500 4 dr (parts 4 sale or trade)
2 60 thunderbirds 1hdtp 1 vert (parts)
69mustang
72 f100

cool57

Quote from: 2x57sedan on 2009-09-09 12:58
i use a scraper and a propane torch
Or an electric heat gun.

barefoot

thanks for all the info.i used a heat gun and a pliable metal scraper.worked well,but would never do it again.  barefoot