News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

RIP Carroll Shelby....

Started by JPotter57, 2012-05-11 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I know the man didn't have anything to do with our cars, but man was he a legend.....Sad to hear the news, all the old greats are leaving us.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

briney

He will be missed!! RIP!

Patrick / Dallas TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Frankenstein57

Carroll Shelby was an icon, he originally took his talents to GM. But they said " no thanks we're happy with our corvette"  Turned out to be a good move for him and Ford,  Mark

Ford Blue blood

He was more then a legend!  How many makes used the Cobra 427 SC as a performance target and missed.  I'll bet Anzio will meet him at the gates and tell him that he was soory he had the gaul to "rule change" the GT-40 out of contention......his charity work will be missed as well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

This clip is a nice tribute in the rain...site and sounds from my favorite Carroll Shelby creation...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_hEzlMYVqY

Zapato

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-05-12 00:06
......his charity work will be missed as well.

Really  would doubt there would be any reason to shut sown the Carroll Shelby Foundation, its too great a part of his legacy. From chicken farmer to looking out for little kids if he's remembered for nothing other than his charity work then it was a life well lived. And definitely was. :unitedstates: :unitedstates:

Godspeed Carroll

Zap-
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

With health issues ending his successful racing career, most would have called it good right there and most of us would not know his name.  Note worthy people make the second, third, fourth, and on and on efforts.  Fifty years from now, Carroll Shelby will be known!

Ford Blue blood

I had a discussion with my sisters son (19 years old and a Camero person) about my 08 Shelby GT500.  He had no idea what the man did and all the illness he overcame while doing it.  During the course of our talk I told him "Shelby is a man's man", only a person with true grit and living God given core values could do what he has.  There are more like him out there but none that have impacted motor sports in America as he has.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

gasman826

Carroll Shelby...then Dave Moroso...Grumpy Jenkins...now EJ Potter!!!!!!!!

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

EJ Potter, the Michigan Madman, rode a sbc powered motorcycle in exhibition runs back through the early 70s.  Smoked the back tire the entire length of the quarter.  He died this month.  Didnt know about Dave Moroso though.  Grumpy died a month or two back.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Self educated engineer...SBC motorcycle "Bloody Mary"...Michigan Motorsports Hall of Fame...turbine motorcycle and other things...bought out the US government supply of Allison V12s, crates of new Allisons setting around...built cars, trucks, and tractors with turbines and Allison V12s...pulling tractor with two Allisons in it "Ugly Tractor".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUu9P3CKSMI

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

Tom S

E J Potter's early SBC bikes had a rear stand that held the back wheel off the pavement.  At the start line E J would rev the 'Widow Maker' up & an assistant would just kick the bike off the stand.

I think this was in Great Britten in the 1960s

"THIS GUY IS NUTS!"  

Some interesting stories if you look him up. 
RIP, E J.
Ride on.