News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Colorado Fires

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-06-27 18:13

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Man I'm just sick over what I'm seeing on the news about the Colorado fires. I don't believe any of our members are in danger, but the Colorado Springs fire is real close to my old neighborhood of 23 years. I believe the fire is burning north of hyw 24, and I lived just a mile south of Hyw 24 on the slopes. Jon (Hogwagon) lives south of the springs, and his motorcycle repair shop is east of the downtown area...I've been in contact with him and they are ok.
There's gonna be a lot of people in a big hurt after this is over, and I pray it it's limited to property loss. Lots of historical places in that area. The Flying w ranch has already been lost. I went there on my first visit to the springs in the 60's...was a tradition in my ex wife's family. Manitou Springs is nestled closly together in the valley which is the beginning of Ute Pass (HYW 24), and if the fire reaches there, I can't see how they could save any of it. Manitou Springs is the original settlement at the base of Pikes Peak, and predates Colorado Springs.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

least one HAMB member lost their car...life and family were OK

hogwagon

Jon from Colorado Springs Colorado here.  Major s%*& storm here with constant change of winds on front range mountain fires. Along I 25 south of Air Force Academy homes lost last night. Over 1000 fire personnel at it now. Air quality bad and we live in the basement as temps hover around 100 during the day.
  All our local emergency personnel really stepped up and lots of surrounding agency's jumped in.
We have a Harley shop in the middle of town and are storing a few for customers that are evacuate victims.
  Lots of lessons learned about keeping area surrounding your house clear and gutters are a fuse if full of dried leaves.
  Community really came together and can't due enough for each other. The clean up will be tough.
Thanks for your concern, this site seems more mature and better temperament than most. Thanks Jon and Sue Beauchamp

jrw429

Jon, hope they get the fire down by you under control with no more destruction. I work up in Boulder at CU and for the past few days we could see our own wildfire in the foothills at the edge of town. They jumped on that immediately and prevented what could have been another huge disaster. I also get up to Fort Collins a bunch, and while that fire hasn't taken nearly as many structures, the size and impact is huge. Some days it is hard to breath with all the smoke. This is just June, a bit scary to think what July and August have in store for us...

I'll have to come down there some time and take a look at your wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Jon hope you and yours are safe and sound!  That goes for the rest of the folks in the area.  My kid and her husband will be stationed at the Academy in the August time frame.  He will be in the hospital on staff there.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hogwagon

Much better today as weather was kinder and fire crews were able to keep it over the ridge so not as smokey today. Woodland park is preparing for fire to move towards them with a cut line and soaking some areas but if it jumps it can get the better of you. I think the Air Force Academy will be fine for anyone working there but has to be tough to think your children are possible in harms way.
  I have been thru some tough places and times but a true national emergency will change your way of thinking about the junk you collect. When they tell you to get the most important things ready to go a lot of it looses it's value. I been keeping the wife in sight and put some money in the bank if we have to draw from it for housing but it looks like we are far enough away that we shouldn't get hit with direct fire.
Thanks everyone for your concern but it's looking like a better day even if it's not over yet.

RICH MUISE

Jon...I'm back from a day in oklahoma ... Glad things have eased up a bit. I was looking on the internet at the horendous pics of the aftermath in Mountain Shadows and can't remember exactly where it was..is the the development up behind the old monastary? How did Pine Cliffs fare?

hogwagon

Thing better this morning and weather may cooperate today. People were notified as is there house was destroyed last night in a private meeting. The news here tries to keep it a bit calmer and the national news likes to sensationalize a bit so take a view in the middle.

gasman826

If things aren't bad enough.  The news was talking about looters.  Just shoot 'em.
Police would not let people back to their properties.  I can understand their need to see what's left but if its just ashes why take the risk.
Is there anything we can do?

hogwagon

Can't see why looters would be up there but we have had a lot of scammers saying they are collecting money for helping agencies that are false so verify any one that approaches you for any donation. My personal feelings can't be aired in the open on any of this. I am class of 69-70 Nam 1st Marines so have to keep in check in our kinder gentler society but fortunately no one has knocked on my door with a scam. Lots of retired military old farts around here.
  if you want to help use the Red Cross or Salvation Army thru a local chapter as I am sure these events deplete a lot of resources. If you can volunteer time to your local community needs and events it will take some weight off of some one else. My brother says if you really want to help some one give a single mom standing in the back of your church a couple of grand in an envelope discretely without any reserve and see a real change. Tell her Jesus sent it and said be quite about it so the kids can eat better.
  Lighter note we are going forward on our project and contacted Drop & Stop on brake parts needed so may see progress and will be back to asking dumb questions soon.                       Thanks Jon and Sue

RICH MUISE

I made one of my last minute decisions to take a long drive this past Sunday..ended up in Colorado Springs. Jon..stopped by your shop Monday..didn't know you were closed Mondays..see ya next trip.
The pic I'm posting shows some of the fire damage. I was happy to see that, as bad as it was, they were able to keep it from getting a lot worse. Much of the burned area is over the crest of the Mountains heading west.
For those of you not familiar with Colorado springs, this picture was taken across from Garden of the Gods, which is the second picture. That's Pikes Peak behind it ( the big one above the tree line).
The Air Force Academy can't be seen in the pics, but it is very close to the bottom right burned area.