News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

some component issues resolved

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-06-29 15:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

Quote from: wildhog on 2012-07-11 09:49
Zap, All you have to do is sit up on the hood and the owner will come right out!!!!!

not a lightweight anymore, not sure the hood would hold me. will consider it next time.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-07-11 09:20Sure could you measure one of the round air vents in the center of the dash.
Here ya go, Zap.  2002 Mini Pooper vents ....
"...2.5 to 3 inches..."  Good guess!  :003:

Maybe not exact but as best I could measure the vent itself ...

jrw429

And a photo of a 2005 vent. I've not taken it apart, but I'm guessing the silver trim ring is pretty integral to the system. Looks to me that the outside diameter is 3.75". Photos don't show it well because of parallax.

And when did it get so dirty?!?!

Tom S

Quote from: jrw429 on 2012-07-12 18:50... I'm guessing the silver trim ring is pretty integral to the system.
I donno if it does or not but the outside vents don?t have that trim ring. Different surrounding area though.  Looks to be separate.
I bet mine is dirtier than yours!  The whole damn car!

Zapato

Thanks, now no longer have to consider any hood crushing tactics,

Zapato

RICH MUISE

Those f100 vents on ebay are nice units...I had one in my hands at the ford dealers..unfortunatly too big for most of our needs at 4 inches. If those Mini-cooper vents are 3 3/4 on the outside, I'm guessing they'd be too big also.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I'm wondering if the factory air vents from 67 - 68 Mustangs might work.  The lower half of the dash has a similar slope to the 57s?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

cool57

I have seen simple, clean and compact ones on aircraft supply websites. Google.

Zapato

found this one,small simple probably not cheap as its for that truly expensive hobby,airplanes.

www,cozygirrrl.com/vents.htm

Zapato

gasman826

It just dawned on me that I bought a bag full of airplane air vents.  I used a couple on a project and the rest were put away somewhere.  If I can find them, I'll send a picture.

RICH MUISE

Finally got one of the lower panels recovered and a Parr Automotive vent added.In the pic the vent looks further towards the center of the car than it really is....the vent is about inline with the right side of the original glove box opening.
The second pic was my excuse for not getting a lot done on my '57 last month...a 'minor diversion'.

gasman826

Mechanic and wood butcher...impressive skills!

RICH MUISE

It's amazing what you can learn to do when you can't afford to pay people to do what you want done.
Gary...got a question you may be able to answer....as I know you're using a late model steering column in your car. I had this info and lost it, think it came from AllData.com, but just spent 2 hours and can't find it again....
My Mustang steering column has a spiral wound encased electrical ribbon at the top of the steering column for all the in-the-steering-wheel-connections. The travel of this ribbon has to be centered when you do the final u-joint connections so you don't reach the end of it's travel before you reach the lock-to-lock actual steering stops.
Do you know which way the steering wheel has to be turned to reach the end of the ribbon's travel, and from there how many turns in the oposite direction to 'center' it? It will be different than the lock to lock of the steering gear.
I just got to thinking...I sure hope that Mustang ribbon's 'lock to lock' meets the requirements of the '57's R&P lock to lock....hmmm....one more mental project on my list.

RICH MUISE

Scratch that question...issue resolved. Amazingly, the ribbon has 25 turns stop to stop.