News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finally back at it

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2012-08-14 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Several issues associated with being of an advanced number of birthdays that my wife has encountered have really put the brakes on projects around here.  Things have settled out and work has begun again.  It is the wife's 65 Bird but it needs to move along before the 57s can get attaention!  After a false start ( primer with no hardener, don't ask, 5 gal of lacquer thinner and an 8 pack of paper towels) finally got the first coats of primer on after new floor pans (front), the entire rear 10" section of the roof, tops of both quarters at the sails, part of the drivers side sail, patches in both quarters ahead of the wheel wells and a light to heavy rub along the passenger side from the middle of the door back.   Blocking has started........finger prints are going away.....re-tape and prime....block with 400....re-tape and prime then hit the trunk and hood.  Hope to have the paint on and finished before the outside temperature falls below "painting" temp.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Since you are messing with a '65 Thunderbird (a great endeavor), I'm looking for the door panel stainless.  '64 or '65...either door.  I have a few interior pieces if you need anything.
Take care.

Ford Blue blood

Gary I have nothing extra for the 64 - 6 Birds.  This one was complete, just really not a very nice car.  Have rescued all the parts and pieces one bit at a time.  While my shop time was limited (still is but not to the extent it was) I scrounged and found everything I couldn't save.  I do have a bunch of 61 - 3 stuff left from this car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

Thanks for looking.  I have everything for swapping in a '65 'Bird interior into my '57 except the panel trim.  Some parts I have 3-4 extras.

Ford Blue blood

Just happened to remember, I need one wheel for a 65 - 66 Bird.  They are 15", solid center, 65 was the first year for dick brakes on these cars.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Glad to hear things are back to normal..or almost... Particularly good to hear your wife is doing better. I like both of those Birds..what color is the '65 gonna be? Do you still have the '63? That's a sharp looking car.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Ya...we are getting ready for a second round, more female problems....the 62 is gone. sold it for an insane amount of money for a 62 coupe at that time.  It went to a tooth fairy in Pensacola and he is still in love with it.  The 65 will go back stock, it is a 65 Special Landau, 4800 produced, 1300 were white the remainder were Emberglow, the interiors were unique to the Special Landau as was the vinyl top.  That's the way she wanted it so........
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

I've got a set of four of the Kelsey Hayes wheels from a '65 with disc brakes.  I hate to break the set and the shipping would be expensive.  I am not actively marketing these wheels and they are buried in a corner.  Check locally a little more.  If you still don't find one, I'll dig them out.  I think I also have a bumper jack.

Lou

Are those Kelsey Hayes the same as the 61/64 15 inch HiPo wheels? If so they are worth a lot of money.

Ford Blue blood

Got a little paint on now.  Roof has the paint because the guy who will install the $500 SMS vinyl top wanted paint on it.  Just a color that was half way close to the color of the vinyl.  The rusty stuff was what had to be cut out of the back of the roof, just wish I had this camera when I started the project, you just cannot believe the mess that was under the old vinyl!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

You're moving right along, Bill...Nice job of layin' the paint down...gonna be a pretty color. Rusting under the vinyl roofs unfortunatly is a frequent occurence.
Is that a uni-body under the tarp outside? LOL...when James was talking about his Unibody, I have to admit I thought he was talking about a van. A week ago when I was in Knox City, Glen pointed to his, and said "that's my '61 Unibody over there"..the light bulb finally went on..I just kept my mouth shut, like I probably should have here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

That is the 57 Ranchero.  It is patiently waiting it's turn, the Bird has to be near finished before major work and it gets it's turn inside the shop. When it is too cold to paint I do sheet metal work, patch panels etc.  I had a Unibody, 61, a really rust free piece that came out of Pomona.  Moved it to my kids place near Edwards, made it road worthy and drove it back to B-Ham.  Sold it a couple of months after we got back here.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero