News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

a few small things

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-08-23 09:37

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I got a few items done in the last week or so..I added disconnects to my rear tailights, as the '63 units I'm using need to be removed from the car to change the back-up bulbs. I used rubber trailer hitch disconnects. I also got my contact switches for the power windows located in my door jamb and installed. I chose to use the oval existing slot so it would give me some room for adjustment if needed, and as you can tell by the switches location on the aluminum plate, it was needed! I used a piece of foam core initially until I got the location correct, then made the permanent one from 3/16 aluminum.
I also got the Crown Vic dome light installed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich the small things are what eats up a lot of time.  I am watching paint dry right now.  A week of blocking, primer, blocking and then sealing, took a little over an hour to shoot the roof and two plus to shoot the trunk lid (inside) and the trunk channel and a week to get it ready....

You are looking great with the progress.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Sure does eat up my time in a hurry. We had talked before about doing a car custom vs. stock, and I'm begining to realize all the different things you do differently or change on a custom eats up so much figurin'-it-out time...like the two I posted, and the seat riser problem I talked about this morning. The seat risers I spent so much fidlin' time on, and ended up going the way I had originally planned, but changed because I thought it would be to much hassle to get the height I needed. But then last night I decided I was getting them too high, and what I ended up using was 1 5/8 x 1 5/8 electrical/plumbing "Super Strut" channel. It's made from 12 gage (.102 thk), and has all kinds of neat slide nuts, plates, ect.available. I got it at Lowe's in the elec. dept....$21 for a 10 ft stick. I've got one nearly done except for making them look pretty...I'll post a pic later.

gasman826

impressed with the car part purchases at LOWES!  Lowes sponcers a NASCAR team...they need to consider sponcering Rich.

That's the deal with custom...lots of time thinking and trail/error.

Ford Blue blood

Rich I have not decided which takes longer....doing a correct resto or doing a hot rod......having done both they both have their unique set of issues and I'm thinking it is a tie with respect to "eating up time"!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-08-24 07:52
impressed with the car part purchases at LOWES!  Lowes sponcers a NASCAR team...they need to consider sponcering Rich.

That's the deal with custom...lots of time thinking and trail/error.
Funny..got to thinking about my last projects:
Headliner...got the light weight bubble type insulation at LOWE's
Door electrical contacts...got the 3/16 x 2 aluminum bar stock at LOWE's
Carpet...got the aluminum tape for the foil backed jute backing at LOWE's
Dome light...got the nylon non-conducting screws to attach it to the roof at LOWE's
Electrical...after trying three other crimping tools, I finally ended up using exclusively the Greelee brand, and have since added three or four other electrical hand tools. Got 'em at LOWE's. I am also having good luck with their Ideal brand of wire connectors. They are made from a heavier gage metal and seem to take an aggresive crimp real well and hold. The several connectors or terminals that didn't pass the "pull test" were of a light gage metal material..have since thrown them out.Also their Ideal brand of nylon wire clamps grip like crazy to whatever I'm sticking them to.
Seats..as I mentioned above, the channel and fittings came from LOWE's
Rear side panels...I reworked the old setup I had for a cup (bottle actually) holder adding a stainless trim ring to it where the vinyl wasn't staying put. Probably the funniest thing I got from LOWE's for my car..made the trim rings out of a stainless kitchen sink drain.
Maybe LOWE's should sponsor me!

RICH MUISE

..."Probably the funniest thing I got from LOWE's for my car..made the trim rings out of a stainless kitchen sink drain."
LOL, The cup holder by the way, is a chrome bathroom cotton ball jar I got at bed bath and beyond, and the new ring cut off the sink drain was such a perfect fit, I had to seat the last 1/2" or so with a mallet.

RICH MUISE

The "super strutt" I mentioned...
I wanted to use the original '57 seat mounting holes, but had to offset the buckets to get them positioned correctly.Next will be making a carpeted cover to pretty-up the channel

Ford Blue blood

Rich I love your "out side the box" thinking and ideas!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero