News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

inside door panels

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-08-24 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,   for any of u that know about the inside trim and door panels,    on my fairlane 500 conv,  the door panel is in 3 tone color combo,    cream, silver and wedgewood green,    the silver needs to se replaced,   i just checked it out with the place that does alot of my car stuff, windows etc,   anyway they gave me a quote just for material,   $175 a yard,    and all i need is a piece about 6" by 40",    anyone know any businesses, or persons that might have it?,    also would consider a whole new panel if the price was right,   or,  if someone had a panel that was tore up but the silver was good,   anything out there?,    i guess i should have added,   its the drivers side door,    thanks    jerrym

Lou

Go to an art supply store, you'll have to sort thru 15 or 20 types to match the grain. They have the outside gold too, it cost me about $20.00 plus $7.00 for clear enamel sealer.

RICH MUISE

Lou:...sounds like some great advise you gave Jerry...you've got me curious as to what type of material it is...tell us more please. Are we talking sheets of matboard, rolls of an embossed foil,...fabric..?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

kinda hard to explain,       its the outer skin,  silver in color, kinda textured,  peals off like tinfoil,  i just took 3 pictures,   that should give u a better idea,   thanks   jerrym         after u guys get a look  at the panel,  i'll delete them

Lou

Rick, it's a embossed foil, sometimes comes with a paper back but usually is just foil. On the gold outside inserts I glued the foil to the original gold insert then sealed everything with clear enamel. Hint, put the glue on the inserts only, when dry cut the foil to fit.

wv 57s forever

picture 4 time to cut your nails? :005: :005: :005:

RICH MUISE

Gerry...that's a really good looking door panel..even the silver..not sure why you want to replace them, and I'm not sure how Lou's suggestion would work with the stitched lower border on the silver.
Rich

geraldchainsaw

thats the good door,      right now i'm  trying some silver leaf,  went on good,  gave it a couple of coats of clear sealer,  now i'm trying to cover it with some clear plastic,    so far so good,  with let u know if it works out or not,   jerry

geraldchainsaw

ok,  heres the new picture,  turned out really nice,  now to see how long it will last,      now i have another problem,   not really a problem,  but u know how our cars are never done,    ok,  on my front seats i have a couple of burn marks in the seat cover,   the wife says theres things to fix vinyl,  any one know what shes talking about?,     and after i fix that,  all i have to do is paint the dash, rechrome the piece over the windshield,  and then i done,  maybe     thanks for any info,   jerry

RICH MUISE

The door panel looks great Jerry. You're wife is correct. I had bought a small kit years ago, but never tried it. It consisted of a dozen or so little jars of vinyl paste that you mixed up until the color was correct.It came with sheets of plastic to 'mold the surface texture' before it set up. It had different textures that you used to hopefully get a close grain match with. I read an article (or maybe in weekly "Overhaulin'" type show) about some lady in Socal who had a van and went around to the different upholstery shops there when they called doing just that. Obviously she had the pro version of what at least use to be available in the auto stores, but nonetheless, it's out there and can be done. Maybe a call to a local upholstery shop might get you some info, or if they do it , it can't be that expensive.