News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

painting

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-08-29 19:21

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

when ever i paint,  i get a cough for a couple of weeks,     i use a acylic enamel,    no need to correct my spelling,  i know its bad,   anyway,  with a hardener,  i have a small compressor that i force air into my resperator,    and i still get fumes ,  what am i doing wrong?,     

gasman826

Is the compressor pulling air from the same area where you are painting?

Is your face mask leaking?  Whiskers or a heavy beard can allow a mask to leak. 

Can you smell paint fumes with your mask on...if so it is leaking.

Some paints contain fumes that are absorbed through the skin or even your eyes.  I think the hardner has some really nasty stuff in it.

I now use a full face mask and Tyvek suit.  It makes for less dirt and lint in the paint and I clean up a lot easier.  With the full face, I don't ruin as many glasses.

Partsman

Do not paint without a fresh air  respirator!  The chemicals in the hardener are very bad for you and can kill you.  As Gasman said if the compressor is pulling air from where you are painting you are defeating the purpose of suppling are to your mask.  After working in and around bodshops for many years I have seen the effect the isocyanates in hardeners can cause.  People can become sensitized to these chemicals and can cause serious and lifelong damage to your lungs causing you to have breathing problems for the rest of you life.  These can even be absorbed through the skin and through you eyes.  Whenever I paint I have a fresh air system that is separate from my paint compressor and pulls air from outside the shop and on the opposite side of the shop.  These systems are not cheap $600.00 and up but your health is priceless and you cannot put a price tag on it.  There are a lot of people who do not agree with me and always boast they have never had any problems but let me assure you it will harm you.  Your cough is telling you this is bad.  In fact I think it is a law you should have a fresh air system.  That applies to regular bodyshops not home hobbyists but there is a reason.
PLEASE DO NOT SPRAY WITHOUT FRESH AIR AND A GOOD PAINT SUIT.  You want to be around to enjoy you 57.
Bill 

geraldchainsaw

ok,  hate to say it,  but i think its time to quit painting,   the cough has happened before,  and it usually goes away,   i do put my small compressor outside the garage,  it might not be strong enough, who knows,  i do know that even when i use a small airasol spray can i cough a little,  so i'm probly already senatized to painting,  like i said,  time to quit.   thanks for the info guys,   jerry

wv 57s forever

has anyone ever heard of turbine products? they have a breath-cool product that is $399. or clm enterprises they have a hobby air for $389.

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i checked out turbine products,  sounds very good,    but let me put this up for discussion,  and c how many give their opinions.      i don't [plan on painting any more cars,   but i will paint things like trim, dashs and door jams,  and then who knows i might not be doing any painting any more,   i was thinking of going to harbor frieght and picking up one of their 3 gal compressors,  and if i paint,  stick it outside the garage with a plastic hose and use it on the mask i have now,  hay,  its even possible that my mask is no good,  who knows,   so,   just give me what u think,  if it dos;en't go good,  i might possible go for the turbine product.    thanks    jerrym

suede57ford

Jerry,

I am the 3M Automotive Rep for my whole region I am trained in respirator selection and recognizing hazards. 

A pump style like your are using still needs the proper facepeice and good connections to work proper.  Too much airflow can also mess with your sinuses.

Often a proper fitting fresh cartridge style respirator on a clean shaven face can be sufficient in a well ventilated area as well.

You can p.m. me for my number and we can discuss options to help.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Tom S

For what it's worth, my 2 cents on this.  From what I read somewhere long ago using a regular air compressor to supply air to breath may not be a good idea.  The way I remember it being explained is that there is oil in that compressor & there will be or could be some blow-by, even if just a small amount.  Therefore the air you get to the mask will be or could be contaminated.
I can't say how accurate this is but maybe someone else, like my man Suede57, can. 

geraldchainsaw

ok,   this will be the last time i post anything about me and painting,    everyone has brought up good points,    i'm not going to be painting any more, period.     thanks for all the info and advice.    just to add a couple of things,    i used a oil less compressor,  but my sinuss have always been bad,  not knowing the set up could have been alot of my problem,  thanks again,      jerry

Ford Blue blood

Tom you are correct, at least as far as the piston type air compressors are concerned.  Not sure if the newer scroal type (oil less) compressors would present the same problem.  

You can make your own "fresh air supply" with a box fan and several feet of flex hose.  Not good to do a car with as it is too cumbersom to move around with but for statioary work it is great.  I my opinion this would be more work then it is worth.  Watched a buddy build one several years ago, used cardboard and duct tape, set it up for a small production run of fittings his customer wanted primed in epoxy.  Made him look really wierd with a 3" shiney hose coming out the back of his hood!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The paint supply store finally admitted that using one of their full face masks was as adequate as a supplied air fully face mask.  The production painter uses the supplied air systems because it is the best and most affordable.  Since I only paint once a year or so, it is more affordable to change out the replaceable filters.  I have to put the mask in a zip lock bag between uses.  The filters are not cheap but no more than I use them it would be cheaper than a supplied air system.