News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

turn signal lites

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2016-06-02 10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,   yesterday my left hand turn signal stopped blinking, the lite is on,  but no blinking,   i've changed the bulbs and fuse ,  and its still not working,  any ideas?,  thanks   jerry

clusterbuster

Might sound strange, but I

clusterbuster

This computer plays tricks on me. I would try a new flasher. If I remember correctly mine acted that way at one time and a new flasher did the trick.

hiball3985

Are the front and rear both on with no blinking? Sometimes when one bulb goes bad the other will stay on but not blink.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

hi,  the right works like it should,  blinks,   the left is just on,  no blinking,    changed bulbs and flasher fuse,  still the left is on but no blinking

hiball3985

But did you check both left front and rear bulbs?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

geraldchainsaw

ok,  this is what i did,  i changed the flasher,  i changed both front & rear bulbs,    right side of car works like it should,      left side the lite is on front and back but no blinking,  i'm going out again and do everything over again to  double check,   other then what i've done i can't fix it,    jerry             WOW,  am i screwed up,  here i'm thinking i'm on the mustang site,  and its the 57,   things havn't been going right today

rmk57

I've had them either flash quickly if a bulb is out or like yours, just stays on and doesn't flash.
Should be a 1157 bulb, park light / turn signal.

Nice 69 Mach 1 by the way!
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Limey57

Is it a bad ground/earth?  Had something similar on a car a while ago and changed nearly everything before discovering the ligt wasn't grounding properly.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

gasman826

On that Mustang, Ford had changed to plastic turn signal sockets.  The socket's ground fails.  Usually shows up with the turn indicator light in the dash glowing (very dim) when the parking lights are on (turn signals off).  The usual fix is to replace the socket.  Last I checked, most auto parts have these from suppliers like Dorman.

With a test light clamped to a good ground, put the point of the test light against the metal base of the turn signal bulb with the turn signal on.  The test light will light and turn signal bulb will start to blink if there is a bad ground.  Slide the point of the test light in the ground side of the back side of the socket.  If the test light does NOT light and turn bulb start blinking...socket is bad. 

geraldchainsaw

i'll give gasman's idea a try,  l u know what happens,  thanks    jerry

geraldchainsaw

ok,   said i would give a feedback on what happened.   turns out it was the back tail lite socket,  had the orig socket,  so the wires were old and wrinkled and wouldn't spring back to hold the lite bulb right,  one wire was frozen in place and didn't move to make contact with bulb,  i suppose if i knew that i cold have played with it and made it work,  thats why theres guys out there making a living to help with our unknowledge of things