News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Padded dash

Started by jdwilker, 2018-01-23 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwilker

Getting ready to install a new vinyl dashpad I got from Carpenter on my Skyliner. Anyone installed one of these? I'm looking for tips so I don't screw it up (i.e prep, trimming, the right glue to use, the proper cuss words to use, etc.). Any help would be appreciated.

thomasso

Its been  at least 10 yrs since I installed a couple of Just Dashes pads.  I don't recall using any adhesives or maybe a little on the face.  The mouldings pretty much hold everything on. Use caution, follow enclosed instructions,very little trimming  should be required.  Be careful, these  pads are not cheap.  I remember the hole for the speaker was very tight. and spacers are needed under the speaker mounts.  Good luck.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

jdwilker

The original did use adhesive (I'm still trying to clean it off). As for the enclosed instructions, there are none. Carpenter referred me to someone else who has referred me to someone else. I'm thinking I need to fit it first to the forward edge closest to the windshield and make sure everything else lines up.

JimNolan

Before you cut on it make sure the forward edge that goes next to the windshield hasn't separated from the backing. It'll look weird after its put on if it is. I had to wait another month to get my second one and they made me pay shipping. $80.00. I got mine from Dearborn (63)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Contibob

JD, What are you using to get the glue off. I have been trying and that stuff is B..CH. Bob

jdwilker

I've tried Goof Off and acetone without much success. About to try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner - supposed to work wonders.

SkylinerRon

The glue is 3M yellow elephant snot.
You could call 3M ask about a thinner. My dad removed an old pad and glue
about 50 years ago, no telling what dangerous chemical he used!

Goodluck,

Ron.

BP57CUSTOM

Back in 1966 , my Dad had a 57 and the pad was cracked so I took it upon myself to remove it one day while he was at work. I would have been 15 years old and don't recall it being a very difficult job to get it off. It came off clean and  the metal dash looked good and the pad was not replaced. I did not lower the speaker grill immediately and it was sticking up when I drove it (by myself) to my drivers test. I remember the trooper asking why it was sticking up higher than the dash. LOL.  That was quite a while ago!
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

ragtop

I used silicone rtv on the two I did give you time to work with it and clamps but my dash was out of the car and had time to let dry after clamping had a buddy do glue and he had to get a another one he destroyed the 1st one 

Ray

regular solvent should take the glue off. Good luck
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Contibob

Regular solvent was like wiping clean water on it. I was trying to save the paint, but the only thing that starts to remove it is aircraft paint remover which of course has taken the paint with it and is incredibly messy.

jdwilker

I finally got the pad installed and here's how it went. I never was able to get all the old adhesive off the dash no matter what solvent I used. Some of that stuff was petrified on. I ended up using a plastic scrapper to remove most and then some sandpaper to clean the surface.
You know the old adage "Measure twice, cut once"? Well I measured about 40 times and trimmed twice that number. The pad made by DashesDirect has a faint line around the edges that should be where to cut. I initially cut near that line and checked how it fit. Then trimmed a little more and fit, etc, etc. As it turned out, that line was pretty accurate. Once I was satisfied with the fit, I laid down 3 coats of 3M 90 spray adhesive on each surface allowing each coat to tack up a little before the next. Then with my trusty wife/assistant, we quickly slid it into place using the speaker cutout to guide its placement and making sure the pad was up against the edge of the dash. I used a laminate roller to press the pad against the dash and then placed a tubular sandbag on it over night.
The one area I had trouble with is the dip between the speedometer hump and the windshield. The pad is fairly rigid and didn't sit down in that space too easily. Even now I can feel a small gap in that area, but nothing noticeable. I'm thinking that after a few warm summer afternoons, it will settle into place.
Being able to drop the top and having the seats out made installing it much easier than it might have been. All in all, I'm satisfied with how it turned out.

jdwilker

Sorry about the pics. Just can't get them to come in right.

RICH MUISE

Nice job. That looks really really nice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alvin stadel

I had the same issue of not sticking down correctly behind the speedo bump. My wife has a couple of socks filled with rice that we heat up in the microwave and use on our aches and pains. I heated one of them up a couple of times and just let them lay on the bubbled area and it came out great. can't tell there was ever a issue  Take care, alvin