News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lowering car 1", rear shock questions

Started by 65kcode, 2015-03-08 13:55

Previous topic - Next topic

65kcode

I am having my rear shocks re-arched 1" lower. Aerostar springs up front w/ Gas-a-Just KYB's up front.

I have read about the 55-56 ford rear shocks fitting the 57's better for wheel/tire removal.

I can't find any KYB Gas-A-Just except for the retractables (KG5526) but the top mount is different. It measures 12.48" Compressed and 20.48" Extended.

I went thru the KYB site and found a (KG5550) from a 1979 Triumph TR7 that measures 12.01" compressed and 19.29" extended and has the double stud ends.

Stock Fairlane measures out at 10.31" Compressed and 17.4" Extended.

Any advise or discussion would be appreciated. Thanks Guys

Kevin

lalessi1

I am thinking that since you are lowering the car it seems you would want a shock with a shorter compressed length than stock, not longer. If you exceed the compressed length by much you will bend something. The other thing is I think shock valving is different depending on the weight of the of the vehicle so I would think going to a heavier car shock would be preferable to a lighter car shock. What about air shocks? Maybe you could inflate them to change a wheel? I am running Gabriels and they seem very short. I also think Bilstein makes a rear shock that is gas filled, Kanter says they have them... very expensive though. Thats my 2 cents!
Lynn

65kcode

I just heard back from KYB, they don't have anything that will work for my application. TR7 doesn't have the dampening that we need.

Making contact with Grab-A-Trac now. The 69-73 Mustangs are very similar in weight, and dimensions of the 57 stock lengths.

I have used their shocks in our Mustangs with great results... and they are lifetime warrantied!

I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Kevin