News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Variable Rate Front Coil Springs

Started by chapingo17, 2018-03-01 14:58

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I'm in the process of replacing most of the suspension. Replaced upper lower ball joints and tie road ends. My ride feel really stiff. A mechanic recommend to replaced front coil springs with variable rate springs? As anyone done this upgrade on their vehicle? If yes, please let me know. If no, not sure what to do sofen my front suspension. Everything is stock on this vehicle.

Glenn

If you are  aiming for stock ride height i dont know but if you want to lower your car i can reccomend a pair of MOOG  front springs pn CC 850 .I installed them on my -57 custom 300 and they dropped the front end about 3?

chapingo17

I would like to keep the same height.

lalessi1

I have those Moog (Aerostar) springs on my car with spacers to pick it up a little. They are variable rate, that is accomplished by varying the coil spacing as the spring is wound. Our cars are not designed to take advantage of variable rate springs, the softer coils merely compress completely when the spring is loaded. These springs are actually "harder" than stock ones. Your best bet is talk to a company that winds springs, Eaton for example. You can maybe get a softer spring that is longer to give you stock ride height.

Lynn

RICH MUISE

I'd get a few thousand miles on it before making any changes. Mine loosened up considerably after it got worn in. Also, just a matter of getting use to the different ride, after all, isn't that why we rebuild these suspensions?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe