News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ford Auction

Started by Ray, 2017-09-24 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Don't know if anyone caught this but a large collection of hipo fords just got sold at auction in Ohio. A gentleman by the name of Danny Thompson apparently passed away recently and his estate is unloading his collection.
Included were a number of 57 fords. Most of them were originally six cylinder cars with updated engines. Of interest to me was a 57 convert with a data plate J (Willow Green) exterior color. Only the third I have seen.
Also in the collection, a 1956 Victoria with what appears to be a 368 Lincoln motor with Hilborn injection. That would be the exact motor that Ford put into the never found "Battle Bird". The 312 supercharged one is well documented and I believe remains in the possession of Gil Baumgarter.
Of the hipo cars, a 65 "R" code Custom 500 sold for $67,000. I believe the was the auction high. Five "R" cars total, one "Q" car and a 62 406 tri power. All in all, pretty impressive although the sale prices were all over the place.
I bought parts, in particular a passenger car "E" setup with a T-bird air cleaner. A lot of Ford parts were offered.
Results can be seen at: https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=132815&ipp=100&sort=0
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

rmk57

Man had good taste in cars that's for sure.  The r- code 64 Galaxie would be nice to have.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

ragtop

if you had a R code car you wood not drive it much the one I had got 4 to the gal. and only on premium and with gas going up its over 3 a gal. now how far are you going I have a 514 2x4 fairlane it gets 3 1/2 a gal I put 50 miles on it this year 

wv 57s forever

Danny was a friend of mine he had a love for the 57 ford. He owned at one time a restaurant called the jug in Newport ohio  the had cruise ins there, on the side of the building is a painting of a 57. He had a bird, a wagon, a truck and many 57 cars. He loved his fords.  A good man was lost.

Ray

Sorry for your loss. He had a very impressive collection of fords of all years.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

John Palmer

Quote from: ragtop on 2017-09-25 13:57
if you had a R code car you wood not drive it much the one I had got 4 to the gal. and only on premium and with gas going up its over 3 a gal. now how far are you going I have a 514 2x4 fairlane it gets 3 1/2 a gal I put 50 miles on it this year

Gas mileage is measured in quarter mile runs! 

Cars like this usually do not run "gas mileage" gear ratios.

VP C16 is over $20/gallon.

Lou

That auction company charges a 15% premium, ouch ! I wounder if the auction company charged the estate 15% too. Nothing like a little greed. 

djfordmanjack

Quote from: wv 57s forever on 2017-09-25 20:04
   Danny was a friend of mine he had a love for the 57 ford. He owned at one time a restaurant called the jug in Newport ohio  the had cruise ins there, on the side of the building is a painting of a 57

a quick google search found this, the 57 is right there:

SUPERQ

I drove almost 1000 miles each way pulling a trailer to attend this auction,
I wanted one of the 57 customs in the sale one black and one Highly customized purple in color,
the black car is very nice and went for $26,000 plus a 10% premium if you paid cash or check
for a total of $28,600, good for perfect car, which this car was not, as nice as it is it had the original
body mounts not a frame off restoration, the purple custom was highly customized and had rust in
several areas it went for $ 13,000 plus buyers premium.
I met a son and a daughter at the auction and learned that Mr.Thompson was president of
Carlton oil corporation at one time. the storage building, shop, and the Farm like state were
immaculate kept .
In all 36 cars and a Ford tractor were sold plus parts,tools and memorabilia.
Felix

57 Custom
66 Galaxie 7 Litre R code