News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front end rebuild kit

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2017-10-01 11:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Just about to pull the pin on this front end kit... I know I may need some of the parts here,, others I will just keep,,,anyone use this?....I searched out Moog stuff.. but I could not find very much.I realize i run the risk of horrible off shore rubber.. but the options are very limited.

http://stores.a-resto-parts.com/1957-1958-ford-ranchero-new-front-end-suspension-master-rebuild-kit-with-inner-tie-rods/
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

I feel your pain! I rebuilt mine but I decided to look for individual parts. I did buy MOOG bushings but they were made in Mexico. I had '59 upper control arms and I found NOS Ford parts for those bushings. I have been happy so far...but. Good luck!
Lynn

djfordmanjack

Jeff I used a similar kit that I bought off ebay and none of the ball joints actually fit my a arms. they were either too large or wrong radius/chamfer so either the A arms or the ball joints would have needed grinding for clearance. No way I was going to grind my freshly powder coated og Ford A arms for crappy aftermarket junk. went to search for NOS ones and/or NORS ball joint tightener kits, which can be used to refurbish good old used ball joints.

rmk57

What is a ball joint tightener kit? Iv'e never heard of them before.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

I would be kinda concerned by looking at that photo. It shows sway bar end link assemblies, which were not used in 57 or 58s, that style was first used on 59 Fords. Also, as far as I recall, 57s used rubber upper control arms bushings, buts 58s (and 59s) used the threaded upper control arm shafts, with the large threaded hex "nuts" that thread onto the shafts, and into the control arms.So obviously, 57 & 58 would not use the same kit. Sure wish MOOG still offered all this stuff new!!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Contibob

PST, sells a complete kit for 57 Fords. I haven't yet bit the bullit though. They only offer the kit in original rubber style bushings.

gasman826

Because of all the concerns, I've managed to keep NOS or NORS ball joints on my shelf.  But it has been a few years since I have bought any.  I have used and a couple of friends have used PST parts with no issues.  PST has been around for a while.  If I needed parts today and couldn't local NORS, I'd order from PST.  I'm sure there are others...this is my experience.

Jeff Norwell

Thanks All for replying.
The kit I posted did have me wondering....I overlooked my project and the main thing I need is rubbers. upper and lower bushings are either completely gone or severely cracked and dried out.I was just thinking to by a complete set and keep in stock of the parts I did not use.Saying that..It probably would be a good idea to replace everything as its totally apart.
I checked out Dennis Carpenters stuff and he has parts sold in individual pieces.... which the bushings for upper and lower are there.... and the cost is ok... but Not sure who makes them.
The company I posted is much cheaper than PST..... but I feel that just because its cheaper,.. does not make it better.
I checked out PST and the cost is roughly 200 bucks more.......I am good with paying a price like that as long as it works.

I have checked the ball joints on the car and they seem fine.. no lateral movement and are nice and tight.
I do have a parts car to scavenge from and another complete rolling front end....I will take a look and see what is usable.Saying that... not really comfortable on just grabbing 60 year front end parts and installing.... brakes, yes.. suspension not so much.

The PST kit looks to be a point in the right direction.

I want to order this as well with a Concours big sway bar as well...(or SW T BIRDS)
Just trying to make the right move and not waste money.... not living in the US and trying to order parts that will not work is a major pain in the a**.

Thanks again to ALL for your input..very helpful

Jeff

suede57ford

I've used the PST ''57 Ford kit over times.   I've got over 20 years of driving on some of my cars and no major product failures or issues.

The part that seems to get the most wear that affects alignment is the idler arm.  The PST one seems to be as good as any.

The SWTB front sway bar is very bulky, hangs way down, very visible, and will contact the ground often on a lowered car, but there are not a lot of options.   Addco is making a 7/8 bar that goes in the original locations on the front control arms, but once again, not a great design.  I'm going to try the Addco front one in the future.   

Jeff, your cars is not excessively lowered so either the SWTB or Addco bars will work on the front.

The SWTB rear sway bar really helps a lot, especially if you have wider or taller tires.  Helps stability on the road as well.  The only downfall to the rear bar is it takes up a lot of space above the rear end, so there is some loss of suspension travel on a lowered car.   Expect to have the rear exhaust pipes over the rear end redone after adding the rear sway bar.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Pat..Your recommendation on the PST kit will be taken very highly.I have 3 or 4 Idler arms that look to be in good shape. so I will revisit them.
I only plan to use a front sway bar.The original springs are in the car and it was a 272/Ford-O-matic Transmission.
I am not changing the front springs to a lower spring...I do have 2 sets of springs.. but un-sure if they came from a 6 or 8 cylinder car....not sure if that is a big factor.
My car will not be lowered in any matter..and I will be using a tall ,narrowest tire to achieve the look and stance I want.No fat tires for me.
I would prefer the SWTB or Concourse front 1-1/8 bar over a 7/8 bar for the sway bar.... 
Rear suspension mods will only be a 6 leaf rear spring set up and possibly(in the future) a Cal-trac set up in the rear.

Thanks All and Thanks Pat.. hope the family is well.

lalessi1

I just installed the 6 leaf springs on mine and I have an inquiry into Calvert Racing (CalTracs). They don't list one for a our cars. My car axle hops pretty bad right now.
Lynn

rmk57

I think it was 57Again that has a thread on adopting them from a different application. It does involve cutting into the frame. DOM tube, the right heim joints a good welder and make your own, that's what I did.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

I have the ADDCO on two '57s.  The Custom corners very acceptable...not Auto Cross but steerable.  Unfortunately, the Custom is bagged with triangular 4 link in the rear.  Makes it hard to compare.  The Raunch Wagon is quite stock in the suspension department.  The ADDCO bar really helped the wagon but not enough.  With soft, tired front springs and top heavy, wagon still kinda rollie.  Rear sway bar in the future.  The ADDCO is a OEM replacement and bolts right it.  Poly bushings are included but poor fit.  I made poly bushings.

I looked into CalTracs and Traction Masters for the Raunch Wagon.  More power and more transmission is going to beat those little buggy springs to death.  Neither CalTrac or Traction Master tech support impressed me.  I have a friend who has owned a '64 lightweight Galaxie for decades.  It has had Traction Masters on it forever.  I'm just going to fab up a set of Traction Master knock offs.  It's summer and still driving so it will be this winter or sooner if I rip the rear end off.

lalessi1

For what its worth...my response from CalTracs

"The way the front hangar is made, we would not be able to build a set to fit, as the pivot plates of the CalTracs hang down 5" from the eye bolt, that piece of steel under the eye would prevent it. Also, since the spring is 2" wide, the inside diameter of the hangar would need to be 2.5".
If you can fabricate a new front hangar that is open to the bottom, uses at least a .500" bolt for the spring eye, and at least 2.5" wide inside, we should be able to build a kit for it. "
Lynn