News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

opinion needed..is THIS the engine?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-11-30 08:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

That's correct Rich.  Not sure how they handle the start/run/keep alive thing but the kit is really easy to use and install.  Making all the wires neat and clean is the hard part.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-12-02 18:02
That's correct Rich.  Not sure how they handle the start/run/keep alive thing but the kit is really easy to use and install.  Making all the wires neat and clean is the hard part.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out where to put it. Apparently the computer has to be 30" or so from the Telorvek panel. I've been thinking of mounting the panel under the passenger seat, routing the wires to the firewall thru the console, with the computer actually in the console. The wires would then be routed to the engine compartment thru the side panel. I think if I remember correctly, when Bob installed the kit in his wagon, he made disconnects where it passed thru the side side panel. I think that is one of the main reasons it took him so long to do it.I thought I could mount the seat on hd hinges in the rear, bolting in the front, so I could just tip the seat back..bottom and all, when I needed to work on it. The Vintage air unit will make it hard to mount the panel on the passenger side firewall,
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rick take a look at mounting the computer above the glove box off the top of the dash.  That is where I put it in my 66 Falcon.  Run the wires out the very top of the toe board as far outboard as you can get them, should come out behind the front body mount on the lower cowl, run along the top of the toe board and to the middle of the back of the engine.  Worked in the Falcon that way...just a thought.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

To throw more location crap in the mix, Vintage Air cautions about locating other controllers too close to the VA processor.  Also, MSD cautions locating processors too close to each other. 
I had my MSD box too close to my VA controller...air conditioning was all wacked out!

FYI...when instructioned to run leads to the battery, run the wire all the way to the battery!!!!!!!!

With more and more aftermarket controllers being common in hot rod accessories, it makes one consider wrapping tin foil around ones balls!

RICH MUISE

Bill..I don't think that would work for me unless I had the Telorvek panel kit custom made for me...at least the computer connector harness lengthened. The Gen iv vintage air unit I'm going with takes up almost all the space under the dash, and I still have 6 air ducts to run. Also, I have an access door above the trans. tunnel on the cowl for my wiper motor. With the kit as designed, the computer has to be located near (30") the panel, so if the computer is under the dash, the panel probably would be also.although I haven't eliminated the idea of building a box/or panel/or door for the toeboard area...lol my wife has short legs anyways. Not sure if mounting all that stuff under the air conditioning unit would be a smart thing to do though.
Gary..you posted that while I was typing mine..I was thinking posible problems with leaks from the Air unit...good to know about the electronic stuff you posted. Sounds like under the passenger seat may be best...just more wire routing thru the console. Thought about under the back seat as well, running the wires up thru the rocker panels.

generally speaking...with all these controllers posible in a given car, how close is "not too close"?

Re$urrected57

Rich I noticed you had mentioned buying an engine with less miles than the one you have.  I buy a large amount of cars through insurance auto auctions.  Most I fix and sell and some I just part out.  Since I am not a dealer, I can only buy what is sold to the public.  It is an excellent opportunity to find a low mileage car for less than you would spend for just the engine.  I checked the upcoming sales in Texas and it looks like there is five Mark VIII's being sold.  I have never spent over 1500 for a car and always get more out of it when I sell for parts or whole.  The downside of this is that you pay 200 a year, in which any profit you make pays for the fee.  Check it out, watch the calendar, and save $$$.  Go to www.iaai.com  Let me know if I can help.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for reminding me. I had spent a few hours a few years ago looking at salvage stuff, and decided to check back when I got closer to needing it. I had forgotten..so thanks. If I see anything of interest, I'll pm you to get more info on how it's done. Do you ever buy from areas that require shipping?
OK...there is  one with only 58712 miles on it, and fairly light colision damage to the rear..probably a driver. The good thing is it's at the closest auction place to me...Lubbock. The bad thing is Texas doesn't allow public bidders, so I'm guessing I'd have to retain a broker, and I'm not sure how that works..as far as the bidding is concerned. There are fees and deposits involved, I'm not sure if the fees apply if you're not successful on the bid.
The car mentioned, btw, is not at auction yet. What does "ACV" mean on the listings? I'm guessing approx. cash value?
LOL..got to thinking about our conversation concerning supportive wives..wait til I tell her I want to get ANOTHER complete Mark since the one I bought 4 years ago has been sitting in our driveway basically untouched....hmmm

RICH MUISE

scored both a factory service manual and a factory electrical/vacumn manual for '95 Mark viii on ebay today. 35. for both plus shipping..not bad :003:

RICH MUISE

Good day finally. The Mark viii I talked about with only 58K miles was finally released by the insurance company today. It will go up for auction on Tues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I drove down to look at it a few weeks ago, and the car was amazingly well kept..probably garaged all it's life. Not a scratch on it..except for the crumpled rear fender that got it there.
If I'm succesful on the bidding, I'm going to have a tough time deciding whether to use it for my original purpose...pulling the drivetrain for the '57, or repairing the rear quarter with the Mark I already have in the back yard and driving it.
I found 5 other Mark viii's btw, all having less than 80K miles, and light collision damage. The one I'm bidding on Tues. is the only one of the 6 within 1000 miles of my house. There's a 93 coming up in Florida with only 46K miles on it, but shipping to Texas is about 1150.

RICH MUISE

Getting closer. Tommorrow is auction day. With any luck, or enough money, I'll have my new drivetrain sittin in the driveway soon.

57AGIN

Rich:

Good luck.  Hope you are successful.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bob....if tommorrow goes anything like today went, something will happen that I won't get it. Last week I checked with the dmv online about getting a temporary transit permit. The car is driveable, only needs a tailight which I had taken care of last week with a tow rig setup. I could have gotten the permit last week just by hitting the "print now" button, but it's only good for 5 days, so I decided to wait until today. This morning I got a different reply after entering the VIN.."this vehicle does not qualify for a temporary permit" SHEEETTTTT. Aparently the salvage title stuff finally got in the system. So, I looked into renting a traier for my Jeep Cheerokee. Uhaul won't rent me one because of the weight ratio to the trailered car. SHHHEEEET. may have to rent a uhaul truck as well (now up to 300 or so), then make another trip back...250 mile round trip...to get my Jeep. Sheeettt.
Ok ....I'm leaving before banks open in the morning, so went to the bank today to get money out for the auction (they don't take checks or cards)..guess what..today was a holiday and banks are closed...sheeeetttt. Fortunatly my wife thought I may be able to get money orders at Walmart with my debit card. I did. Man, I hope tommorrow is easier.
Did I mention my neices truck broke down on her way to work this mornig..man I hate gettin out in that 20* weather!
The good news is in the 3 days since the car was released by the insurance co., no one has prebid on it. It's posible, not likely, but posible, I could walk away with this thing for a few hundred..that'd be just alright with me.

57AGIN

Rich:

Hang in there.  Sometimes good things happed to good people and you're one of the good ones.

Bob
57 AGIN