News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Very nice clean look.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Thanks guys, this elephant is getting smaller - one bite at a time......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

OK, as some of you may know I have had an issue with the 351C not wanting to run.  It started and ran for cam brake-in, started and ran again for another 20 minutes.  Turned it off.  Week latter started it up, idled just fine and shut off on it's own.  Did not restart and hasn't for a couple of months.  Went through the entire engine including pulling the timing cover (those familiar with 351C know what a PITA doing that with the engine in the car!) to verify cam timing.  All was good.  Ran compression checks, average of 150 between all eight, checked the distributor gear, it was good.  New cap, rotor, and carb, still no fire?  After verifying all was as it should be I was to the point of loosing my mind.  Finally cranked the engine with the coil wire watching the spark.  It was a "hit and miss" spark.  Strong, but not hitting as it should.  Decided to put in a new set of points which were the last thing from my mind because it was a new re-built distributor and HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN!  Runs like a top, hits on the first turn and idles down as it should.  So, on to putting the rest of the stuff on the front of the engine and getting on with the build.

Time to finish the fenders, get the bed closed up, and start the long board endless sanding in preps for paint.  Had a couple of celebratory brews and a cigar and closed up the shop for the day! 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Well that's just awesome, Bill. I had no doubt.

gasman826

recently had similar scenario.  Car ran fine after owner did tune-up.  After some miles, shut itself off...DOA.  I checked and set dwell and checked points for pitting...looked good...they were new!  Got my new SnapOn timing light out...hooked up and nothing.  My first thought was one, I didn't know how to use the light or two, it was broken.  Then, like a flash it hit me that a bad condenser will kill or erratically short the points.  I broke out a 50 year old set of NOS points and condenser, installed, set the dwell and it fired off and idled perfectly.  The new NEW doesn't always mean good anymore!!!

Tom S

Let's see if it works without the pic I referenced at the bottom.
Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-06-25 18:10...had similar scenario. ...
Trying to fire up a 302 that had been sitting for a long time & had no spark. Everything looked good. Points looked pretty good but sanded the contacts a little just to be sure. Still no spark.  Finally rotated the crank to where the points were closed. Checked continuity between each side of the points & got none. More sanding of the contacts got me nothing. How strange.  Replaced the points & fired it up.

BTW, I believe that 302 distributor is the one that I put a set of slightly altered Chevy points into. Reason being is that, having never had one of those brand X machines, I found out that you could set the dwell externally thru a window on the side of the brand X distributor. Just drilled a small hole in the side of the 302 distributor to access the allen head adjusting screw on the brand X points & covered it with electrical tape. It was all amazingly easy to do & made it very easy to always keep the dwell right on spec.
But lets just blame that 1st lack of spark on them Chevy points. :003:   

This pic shows another thing I found decades ago that over time will kill spark.

Tom S

Distributor pic. Been round & round trying to find what the problem was in not being able to post this before.  Still don't know.

hiball3985

Yes, had the same thing happen last year on my truck 390, cheap ass Chinese condenser, ran for 30 minutes and shut down. I have talked to people who have had them dead right out of the box...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Alrighty then, engine tuned, fluids filled, oil is oiling, alt is alting, temp is temping, the tranny is trannying, and the idle is set ay 700 RPM.  15" vacuum, no runs, drips or errors!  Have to check out the brakes prior to a test drive.  When that happens it will be the first time since I don't know when it has moved under it's own power!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Congrats........keep us posted.

KYBlueOval

Ford Blue blood

Well, finally got some time in on the Ranchero.  Not very exciting but between the tire explosion, wife medical issues, NSRA Nationals, family visit, temps in the high 90s and just life in general some progress has been made.  I have the tail gate jammed in (sorry forgot to take pictures), fitted, adjusted and ready to stay in place.

The bed had a bunch "use marks" that have been worked out and the first coat of high build primer is on.  Got up early to beat the heat and stop sweat from dripping all over the thing!  Got the wheel well strips, fill panels and the little trim at the end of the quarters prepped as well.  Now we start the blocking process, re-spray and block again.  Been working on it while the fenders wait for a little cooler temperatures to work out doors.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

57chero

Looks really good, went through the same thing on mine. Most people wouldn't take the time to do what your doing, they spray bed liner over the dents or stick a tonneau cover on it. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end.

hiball3985

Thats really nice. Mine was already sprayed with liner when I got it, wasn't happy about it but it has worked out well for hauling stuff more then a few times.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

It's all in the details, as they say. It's going to make a big difference on the finished product.