News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Man, that looks killer!

KYBlueOval

hiball3985

Looks great. Glad to see it coming together. What sway bar is that, 59 type?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Thanks guys.  Now the fun part, color sanding and buffing.  Can't decide if I hate this more then blocking!

Rich the front springs are stock(that were in the car) with a turn and a half cut off.  Stock spindles.  Wheels are 15 X 7, tires 235-70s.  Not going to mess with the ride height until all the parts are back on the car.  It might look high because I didn't roll it after taking it off the jack stands.  We'll see when I put it out in the sun today.

The sway bar is 58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I can only wish my car was that straight! Awesome job, it looks perfect!
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Rich, here is the stance as it stands right now.  Think it will be OK when the rest of the "stuff" is on, that is a couple of days down the road....the ranchwagon I had was way too low!  Hard to get around without dragging the exhaust.  Have the mufflers on this one tucked up tight so it can go down if it strikes me to put it down.

The tail light reflectors were sanded, de-rusted, painted with self etching primer and then shot with rattle can "chrome".

No pics but I started putting the bed stainless in, just can't help myself!  One side is done hit the other tomorrow.  Bumpers and grill we be after the buffing is completed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mustang6984

I suspected that was what you had used. You are the first person I have ever known who used the rattle can chrome. How do you like it? Was it as easy as they say? sure looks nice.
And the car color...looks like a shade of purple with burgundy in it. what is it officially? I do like it. It really pops!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Really really liking your color and wheel choice. The stance looks much better than I had originally perceived. It's got that little California rake I couldn't see before. It should be fine just where it is, Don't let it sit too long before you start the color sanding, lol. It just gets harder.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2020-04-28 18:31
I suspected that was what you had used. You are the first person I have ever known who used the rattle can chrome. How do you like it? Was it as easy as they say? sure looks nice.
And the car color...looks like a shade of purple with burgundy in it. what is it officially? I do like it. It really pops!

The "chrome" goes on pretty much like any other, just can't load it up heavy.  A little practice to get the "touch" and most applications turn out nice.  Now, it is not even close to chrome but does give a nice shinny look.

The paint on the Ranchero is a stock GM color.  86 Caddy, Dark red metallic.  Does no have any "metal" in it, just red pearl.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Beautiful Bill.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

mustang6984

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-04-29 06:47
The "chrome" goes on pretty much like any other, just can't load it up heavy.  A little practice to get the "touch" and most applications turn out nice.  Now, it is not even close to chrome but does give a nice shinny look.

The paint on the Ranchero is a stock GM color.  86 Caddy, Dark red metallic.  Does no have any "metal" in it, just red pearl.

Good to know. I will have to get a can and play with it. I am guessing the taillights/brake lights will be a LOT brighter with that background.
That color is just stunning. I guess GM can do somethings right...LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Wirenut

That really looks nice, I love the way it looks without bumpers. Makes me want a ranchero!!
Thanks for sharing the photos and letting us tag along..

Ford Blue blood

Got the rest of the glass installed.  The channel that snaps into the door frame is a challenge!  I have a piece of door glass that remained complete (not sure how given the cars condition when it came home) and used it for a template to make sure the clips lined up with the holes they snap into.

Bending it around the corner is very tedious.  To make the bend without kinking the channel or the stainless I lined the new piece up on the glass and strapped it down with wide masking tape.  To start the bend you need to pull firmly on the "tail" while holding the top portion in place.  After a couple of degrees the tail will curl up.  Work your hand down the length gently twisting it back and forth.  As you do this you will feel the stainless moving.  This twisting needs to go all the way down the tail.  By doing this every couple of degrees you will get a nice tight bend with no kinks.  It took me about 20 minutes to do each side.  After the bend is complete you mat have to trim a little of the stainless off the end that buts up against the vent window.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

As it sits right now.  The door handles are off because I forgot (or lost) the pads that go under them!  Got them ordered, easy install.  The door locks work both inside and outside, windows crank up and down and the door handle works!  Got the bed stainless all snugged down.  That turned out to be easier then I thought, the cab corners go one last.  Found that out the hard way!  Car still needs final polish then a thorough cleaning inside and outside!  It is a mess with dust in every crack and corner.......

OK, any tricks to get the four hood bumpers in their holes?  Got frustrated and put them aside before I messed something up.  So if you have the solution I would appreciate some help.  Thanks in advance.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Bill, It's been a very long time since I installed my hood bumpers, but I do remember them being a chore to install. I think I used plenty of lube and a small flat screwdriver to push the rubber into the holes. Those tapered bumpers are dual purpose...they also center the hood up in the opening.
Not super  important, but those glass channels you bent up originally had 3/4 of an inch or so of the outer stainless rib protruding up over the little ss raingutter over the wing windows. That keeps them from falling should the clips (I glued mine) or adhesive holding the channel  fail. We had some long threads on bending that stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe