News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

The nice thing about platers in your area, is they still can use the old chemicals that they can't use up here. They do a really nice job for a lot less money too.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ford Blue blood

Joe I'm not sure the platters in this neck of the woods haven't been bitten by the same bug.  Have to say a couple of the "TV show" platters here are 12 - 16 weeks out with bumpers that have no dents or twist in them.  Their cost just absolutely flabbergasted me, 800 - 1200 per bumper.  I went with the fellow in GA because of turn around time, he answered the phone first call and said he needed to look at the bumpers to give me a price.  I figured the drive would be worth the price of gas, it was.  500 each.  Just waiting now.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I just got another quote for two three-piece grille sets and a pair of wagon rear bumperette/overrides at $1200 including pick up and delivery, taxes and hazardous waste disposal fee with a two week turnaround.  This is the best price in a couple of years shopping.

Ford Blue blood

Got the door panels mocked up, lay out changed three times with a long period on "belly button" pondering involved, a couple of adult beverages as well.  Decided this is going to be the final layout.  Smooth on the top of the panel, vertical pleats between the shiny stuff and smooth below.  Need to decide if I want to polish the aluminum panels or paint them body color.

Got the door cards cut and punched for both doors.  On to kick panels and the rear of the cab......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Jeff Norwell

Really like that top design Bill.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

Take it right out of '64-'66 Thunderbird

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-06-25 09:45
Got the door panels mocked up, lay out changed three times with a long period on "belly button" pondering involved, a couple of adult beverages as well.  Decided this is going to be the final layout.  Smooth on the top of the panel, vertical pleats between the shiny stuff and smooth below.  Need to decide if I want to polish the aluminum panels or paint them body color.

Got the door cards cut and punched for both doors.  On to kick panels and the rear of the cab......

Bill, really looks great. I have a pair of the same arm rests for my Ranchero. Are you relocating the arm rest? And ,are you using the interior door handle that goes with that arm rest?
Thanks
John

Ford Blue blood

Gary, got the stuff off of 65 panels that were left over from the 65 Special Landau restoration.  Those panels were too far gone to keep so the aluminum and stainless were striped and saved.  Didn't have anything in mind for them until I decided to use the 62/63 steering column and seats,  Keep the interior T-Bird theamed.

John, the arm rests are 63 Fairlane, they look like 63/64 pulls but do not have the "extra" slot for the door handle.  They will go in where the stock 57 arm rest went.  The holes in the 63 arm rest line up perfectly with the 57 mounting brackets in the door.  I will be using the stock 57 - 63 door handles along with 63 Bird window cranks.  The have a chrome knob vice the white or black other years have.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

There are little surprises in life!  Got the call last Thursday, my bumpers are ready.  Leaving this morning to pick them up.  He told me 6 - 8 weeks, not going to complain they are early!  Happy I went ahead and got the brackets finished up rather then saying those can wait a couple of weeks.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Got the bumpers cleaned, painted the back side semi-gloss black and a heavy coat of wax on them.  Used Rustoleum per Chrome It's recommendation.  They cleaned up perfectly.  Found no errors in the finish.  Very happy with the job!

Assembled the over-riders and bumper brackets.  Made a license plate holder for the rear, no front.  Just waiting on my "helpers" to return from MO (Fairlane Nations) to do the install.  They are a little heavy and cumbersome for this 73 year old balding fat man to tackle by myself.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Those look gorgeous, Bill! and nice job on the plate brackets.
If you don't mind me asking, what's the going rate for chroming bumpers at a good shop these days?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

They sure do look pretty!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ford Blue blood

I was/am well pleased with the job.  His tutorial for cleaning and preservation of the finish was a pain in the butt but should be worth it in the long run.

They were $1100.  I was concerned by the price difference but thought I would take a chance and it worked out well.  The two "TV" platters (Nashville & Sholes) were $850 - 1300 each with a 8 - 12 weeks.

Chrome It in Marietta, GA.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

Can't believe it has been almost three months since my last update!  Life has a way of buggering things up.  Still having life issues, thankfully none of my family but a good long time friend.

So, on to what little has been accomplished.  Got both door panels ready to cover.  I used a thin plywood panel to get the fit and size correct as a template.  Multiple try's to get the layout as I wanted.  Next was trimming the aluminum panels, punching the holes in it (very nervous as there is only one try) along with trimming the stainless (also very tense) to fit nice and close and look proper.  Fairly pleased with the results.  I have decided that I'm going to paint the aluminum panels to break up the mass of off white.  I have the back panel fabricated, next are the side panels to fit under the side metal pieces John sent me (Thanks again John) to complete the door to door portion.  Still need to do some six pack engineering to work out the kick panels.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

mustang6984

Those look really nice in their design...can't wait to see the final product!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker