News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero build

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2015-09-12 15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Some more interior work.  Gat the seats off for covering, finished the rear portion of the interior.  Things went well except it took forever for the glue to get to the point of holding!  Shop temp is only 50* so things slow down a little.  Ya, no heat, just hunker down and get it done......

Door panels next, need to polish the stainless that I have fitted, trimmed and did a bunch of six pack engineering to settle on for the final product.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mustang6984

Lookin' better and better all the time... :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ford Blue blood

Been plugging along ever so slowly.  Got the windless stitched up and installed (almost).  Still have the kick panel area to firm up.  The stuff wrinkled up a little more then I thought but going to have to live with it.  Got one door panel finished.  Everything lined up like it was supposed to (surprised me) and clipped in just as nice as can be.  The B post panels are out until after the headliner goes in and the metal "fillers" that are on the quarter behind the door just need to be bolted in.  Seats are still in upholstery jail, expect them to be ready in January which is OK because we will be heading up "nort" to be with family for Christmas.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

and the steering wheel looks good too.

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

WOW! Looks really good. I was wondering...would some heat from a heat gun or hair dryer help take some of the wrinkles out? Just a thought. But sure does look super to me!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

I'm thinking that is "texture" in the material, not "wrinkles"... :dontknow:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

RICH MUISE

I assume Bill and Hugh were talking about wrinkles in the windlace at the corners. The first problem,imho, is it looks like foam was used for the core. Before I started mine, I talked to an upholstery guy and he told me foam would not work well for that reason, and advised me to use a dense rubber, which I found at an upholstery supply place in Phoenix on one of our trips. The rubber helps a novice like me tons, but I still ended up with more wrinkles than I could live with, so my next try was to actually cut some big "U" shaped pieces of the vinyl fabric and made a template from cardboard of the door. I still had wrinkles but much better than my first try.
Hugh, heat won't shrink vinyl, but you can use heat to stretch it if needed. The only fabric, iirc, that can be shrunk with heat to get wrinkles out (headliners, etc) are some synthetics, but not all. Cotton headliner material can be shrunk with a misting of water if you want to run the risk of staining.
I have no idea how the good pros get windlace installed with no wrinkles.
With that said, Bill, I'm really liking your interior a lot!! Really nice design on the door panels. All that work was well worth it.
When I had a custom picture framing business, we could tighten new, but loose, synthetic fabric stretched artist canvases using a heat gun on the backside. The cotton canvases we misted with water on the backside, and voila!! after drying it became tight as a drum.
Sorry to get off on a tangent.
Bill, the kick panel area is out of focus in the above pic, is that the fuse panel I'm looking at?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Before he passed, the upholstery guy showed how to install windlace.  Not only the importance of good tack strip but he stressed the importance of the right tool...pig ear notcher.  Using rubber windlace and cutting reliefs in the flat part of the windlace will aid in sharp bents with out wrinkles. 

https://www.qcsupply.com/v-shape-ss-ear-notcher.html

rmk57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-12-15 16:08
Been plugging along ever so slowly.  Got the windless stitched up and installed (almost).  Still have the kick panel area to firm up.  The stuff wrinkled up a little more then I thought but going to have to live with it.  Got one door panel finished.  Everything lined up like it was supposed to (surprised me) and clipped in just as nice as can be.  The B post panels are out until after the headliner goes in and the metal "fillers" that are on the quarter behind the door just need to be bolted in.  Seats are still in upholstery jail, expect them to be ready in January which is OK because we will be heading up "nort" to be with family for Christmas.

The arm rests, are those 64-65 Falcon? They look nice.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

CobraJoe

You are correct Rich, not sure how I missed it when Bill actually said it in his post????

Ford Blue blood

Thanks for the comments guys.

Rich that is the relay panel, hi and low beam plus relays to power ACC and Run circuits.  The fuse panel is under the console.

The core is rubber, the problem with the wrinkles is the material is too heavy.  I cut many reliefs in the corners but they still bunched up.  The guy that has the seats said that I should have used a product that is lighter and has a larger weave backing.  OK, lesson learned....

Yes, Falcon.  They came in black only.  Took a hunk of material to my paint guy to see if he could match the color in a vinyl dye.  Got pretty close.

The steering wheel is a stock 63 Bird, got a Wheel Cover kit, leather with heavy thread and needle.  About six hours to get it nice and tight.  There were six big cracks in the original wheel that were filled with epoxy.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hiball3985

That looks really nice Bill. My wind lace has the same issues or wrinkles in the corners, it was done by the previous owner. And guess where the wind noise on the hiway comes from. I'll just live with it, I'm just getting too old to start reworking it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I have noticed in the past if I push in on the windlace at the corner and area above the vent window, the wind noise will change/lower. Of course, that's also telling us that our seals are not closing off in that area. I knew that on mine as that corner of the door needs to be tweaked in a little, I can pass a dollar bill back and forth in that area when the door is shut.
Bill, I'm sure you know this, but also some types of vinyl stretch more in one direction than another....usually indicated on the backside of the material, sometimes with a diamond.
Also, here's a link to how I did my kickpanels when I had to work around something 3 dimensional. Lots of ways to skin the cat, but this worked out well and was a fun project.
In my case it was the fuse panel I had to build around, my engine harness took all the room in my console. http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5795.30 reply #39
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe