News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I did it. I bought a 351w

Started by sprink88, 2012-12-02 21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

Right now I am having a machinist buddy go through the engine. He is a younger kid, 23ish, my an old school rodder and gonna do it right. I am not preforming it, I just want a cruiser. But a 74 351w and trans for $150. I couldn't go wrong. But be ready to get your brains picked!
~Chris

lowrider

The engine is older than he is. Thats OK, the place I dropped off my 292 parts at the guys only in his early 30's. He's a good listener though, he did a fantastic job on my G heads.

57 Ford Kustom

Sprink88,
   I Have a 351w also, It is a great cruising engine that still has bite when you want it. I am changing the cam with a edelbrock performer plus, I have a performer intake and a Autolite 4100 carb, I am in the middle of building it, I have to wait a few months before I can try the set up out though, snow is here. I ran it for a couple of years with a edelbrock 1405, my brother had a performer rpm intake on it, but idle and low end throttle were rough to say the least. These are the main reasons for my triing a different setup. Because I am not building a racer, I optioned out of the headers, I'm happy with the stock manifolds. What are your planned modifications?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

sprink88

@lowrider. I know, but the kid has an old Rodder soul. AND a machinist!

Tim, yes, I am also looking at a Performer Manifold with a 600 Holley. And a small cam, No lbigger than a 270 lift I think.. My heads are the non-performance kind, DO8E-ab heads. ('78 smoggers). But I do have a lead on some HO heads if I can get them for the right price. But yes, I want a great cruiser engine with a tiny little snort. No snow here yet, BUT it is coming. I would like headers, because I want to run lake pipes. Say, what did you go with for motor mounts?
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

Sprink88,  The mounts were in my Ddads garage, I believe they are mid 60s 260 mounts, I just had to use 1 inch spacers between the mount and the block. Worked slick, my 351w is out of a 69 rx7 cougar, but I think the performer cam only has a 270 lift, check it out. It is only 165.00 with the lifters. but of course you also have to buy there timing chain also, LOL Thanks, Tim

sprink88

Are those spacers so the oil pan has clearance? That was one of my first thoughts when I got the engine
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

sprink88, I have a after market oil pan and yes I needed it for my pan clearance. thanks, Tim

sprink88

Ok, I will check out those Mounts
~Chris