News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Motor mounts

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-02-03 13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Looking though EBAY this morning for Mustang motor mounts for the 4.6. Found a ton..many of which seem to be the same, just hugely different prices. Anyway, my question is..the mounts I found by Anchor, DEA, and others seem to be close to the OEM type. The 'cushion' is a rubber blend, and the built-in bolts used are grade 5. The next group I found uses the urethane instead, and has grade 8 bolts, and probably a thicker plate material. They are bolted together, rather than riveted as the OEM type. The oem type ranges upwards from 34. a set, while the "upgraded" grade 8 w/ urethane is in the 85. range. My problem is I've been avoiding urethane because I heard it squeaks like crazy. Should I just go with the Anchor or DEA brand that has the rubber and not worry about it....or???
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

62galxe

Rock auto is cheaper than $34 on the mounts.
http://www.rockauto.com/
1996 FORD MUSTANG 4.6L V8 DOHC : Engine : Motor Mount   Price Alternate
No parts for vehicles in selected markets.
ANCHOR Part # 3002     
  Front Left

$18.75 

ANCHOR Part # 3001       
  Front Right

Choose: [Regular Inventory] ($18.75)[Private Label Package] ($29.79)
$18.75 
See Options at Left 
DEA Part # A3002     
  Front Left

$25.79 

DEA Part # A3001     
  Front Right

$25.79 

RICH MUISE

That's actually where I saw the lowest pricing. I was talking 'pairs', but missed by a few dollars.
Thanks.
I'm still wondering about the urethane vs. rubber. There's a third option I didn't mention also..solids. Not an option I thought was best for my street cruiser aplication.

Alex L.

I'm not sure how far off from solid the urethane mounts would be.

I doubt urethane would squeak all that much in the motor mount application, I think that is primarily a problem for urethane suspension bushings.

From what you describe the urethane ones are probably way better quality.

RICH MUISE

That's what I was wondering...thanks Alex. The funny part is, one of the distributors lists the part as a heavy Duty replacement for the Mustang Cobras OEM's, then goes on to list the part rating at 300 whp!!.... What? That's a whole lot less than those cobras produce.

JPotter57

Save the money and spend it elsewhere.   For a stock Lincoln 4.6, even at 315 hp, you're not going to hurt the rubber ones.  JMO...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-02-04 14:09
Save the money and spend it elsewhere.   For a stock Lincoln 4.6, even at 315 hp, you're not going to hurt the rubber ones.  JMO...

What he said....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

My restoration/hot rod shop buddy agrees also. He did break the motor "mount" in his 4.6 Mustang Cobra, but it was actually the bolts that attach it to the engine he broke..the oem mount itself was fine. Thanks for the input guys. It's always nice to save a few bucks here and there. I'll just be sure to use grade 8's when I bolt it in..would have anyhow.
Rich

Alex L.

I concur, get the rubber mounts unless you are building some kind of race car.