News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Too much travel

Started by wilnutt, 2011-05-17 22:15

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

I thought I had posted this earlier, but i'm not seeing it anymore. So, I will try again...

I did a disc conversion on the front and rear, went with MPB (Master Power Brakes). She stops great, in a straight line etc. BUT, it feels more like manual discs than power discs. I think it's mainly because there is soooo much travel now in the brake pedal, after the conversion. My foot has to be 70-80% to the floor before the brakes really "engage." Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they relieve this?

Thanks,
William

Da Tinman

working on one with similar problem now, I got a couple ideas and will report back once I give them a shot.

This one has granada fronts, mark 7 discs rear, mustang2 booster and 76 vette master in case your wondering.
The trouble with the shallow end of the gene pool,,, No room for depth charges.

Ford Blue blood

If your car had power brakes originally change the brake pedal to a manual pedal.  I believe the MPB is designed to hook to a manual pedal.  Different ratio between the two.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

William, try checking all your linkage adjustments. I had the opposite problem , they would come in dragging.Make sure everything is free and clear, no binds. Also the pin between the master and the booster has to have a small amount of play, not sure of the spec. I fixed that, then adjusted the rod from the linkage into the booster, now I'm pretty good. Mark

bossguy

I'm in NY and my son is in Fla. We installed 69 Merc 12" rotors on the front of his 59 Edsel Wagon (same as Ford). He didn't like the looks of the ABS booster and returned it (too long). He got a Mustang II booster and master to fit between the 429 and hood hinge but came up about 1.5 inches short of the manual edsel pedal. He popped the longer pushrod out of the 69 Merc donor car and gained some of it but still not enough. Anyone have any ideas on longer push rod before he cuts and taps two pushrods? Thanks

cool57

Quote from: Da Tinman on 2011-10-31 00:43
working on one with similar problem now, I got a couple ideas and will report back once I give them a shot.

This one has granada fronts, mark 7 discs rear, mustang2 booster and 76 vette master in case your wondering.
Updates? :003:

F570RD

The bore size of the master sounds like it is too small.

bossguy

SSBC (stainless Steel Brake Corp) makes 2 versions of an adj push rod. I ordered one this morning from Speedway Auto, in stock about 50.00 The kit contains an end that is flat so it looks like the later ford mechanical brake light switch will work.