News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stop em and drop em Disc brake conversion kit

Started by JRWASH, 2012-04-10 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWASH

I bought a Disc brake conversion kit about 10 years ago and just getting around to putting it all together. seems as if the guy who had "stop em and drop" em kits is gone.  The directions are horrible, the photo's aren't even of the same parts in the kit, seems as if he was a middle man cause there is another outfit's name out of Ca. in the box called them they sent me a link and there directions aren't any better.  So I was hoping someone here could send me some finished product photo's. And they are not the drop version, stock height.    I have a 57 fairlane 500 and am planning on using a Rack and pinion steering also.  Sorry about being so Vague if there is any more info, I would be happy to provide it.  Thanks in advance.  JR
1957 Fairlane 500 63A  Starmist Blue & Colonial white was originally a 312 A/T 4bbl dual exhaust car, Engine & Trans long gone and dropping in a 390/C6 combination.

RICH MUISE

JR...check page 2 of the "under construction" section of the gallery. About 1/2 way down you'll find a pic of the drop-n-stop setup I installed about 2 years ago. If you need more pics, I'll look thru my old pic files.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Found some pics. My setup by the way is the 2" dropped, and I have to move the brake line to in front of the control arms. The only mod I did to the kit was to add a section of rubber hose below the spindle to keep a little retention push on the lower ball joint rubber grease boot. I think that was necesary because of the 2" drop reaming, which doesn't allow the spindle to drop on the ball joint as far.

JRWASH

looks nice, but mine is the stock spindle and stock height.
1957 Fairlane 500 63A  Starmist Blue & Colonial white was originally a 312 A/T 4bbl dual exhaust car, Engine & Trans long gone and dropping in a 390/C6 combination.

Frankenstein57

Rich, that looks nice. I almost color changed my control arms, but wasn't sure. They didn't look that good new! Mark :003:

gasman826

Looks like a Granada system.  I used OEM Granada spindles with new '57 ball joints.  Explorer rear disc kit.  A '74 Lincoln hydraulic booster and master cylinder with a manually adjustable bias valve.  Outstanding brakes!!!  Spent very little money.  If the Granada rotors are not big enough, big Ford rotors, horns and calipers of that era will fit the Granada spindles.  The big Ford rotors have the 5" bolt pattern (redrill or different wheels).

bossguy

We bolted on 69 full size Merc spindles 12" rotors and prop valve on my sons 59 Edsel wagon. Mr Potter set me straight on using the original tie rod ends with the 69 spindles. Due to valve cover to hood hinge clearance issues he went with a granada 9" booster and master. He was bleeding it last weekend so I dont know how the result worked yet.

57AGIN

Guys:

How much does the Granada spindle setup lower the front end as compared to the stock Ford spindles?  This info might help when I go about adjusting the ride height on my 57, as I now have the standard ford spindles and new front springs.  I'll be trying to bring the back end up about 1" and the same in the front.  Right now the front is up about 3 or more inches.  Even with the rear shackles reversed the car still sits ni a nose up "Gasser" stance.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Bob...I thought they told me two inch drop, but checking their website says choice of stock, 1 1/2 or
2 1/2 drop.
I will try to contact him later today to verify what JRWASH said about Drop-n-stop "no longer there"?
Their website seems normal.

gasman826

I've read several articles that claim a one inch drop from the OEM spindle to the Granada spindle.  I have never measured.  I'll add it to my to-do list.

After writing this, I got out a '57 OEM spindle and a Granada style spindle.  There is roughly an inch difference in the distance from the bottom of the lower ball joint boss to the center of the spindle.  Yes, with the just the spindle change, the car will set an inch lower.  This will also affect the steering dynamics in a positive way.  Maybe no one cares but I will drone on anyway.  With the axle sitting higher on the spindle, there will be more caster change effect in the turns.  This should be a good thing especially if you have power steering.  Your alignment tech should be able to get more positive caster setting into the alignment.  More positive caster will help make the car more stable at higher speeds.  This is a good thing.  I ran my car up to a 100 mph and then quite looking at the speedo and went a little faster.  The car felt great...very stable and connected to the road.

57 imposter

And here I thought I was the only one, I have a stop-n-drop set up that has been in the shed for 8 to 10 years.I am going to make a run at installing them during this incarnation of my car. I did have them partially assembled once and wasn't wild about the spindle was not fully seating on the lower ball joint but as I understand it, that is where the 2" drop comes from. Still would not be my first choice for a first rate system. Keep us posted on how your install works out as I may be in the same boat in another month or so.

gasman826

Since you've got it apart, drop them coils out and put some air bags in.  Then you can have the ride and ride height that you want!  Cheaper than new coils and no ride height issues.

Frankenstein57

Gasman, sounds like you been hanging around circle track racers.  Mark

gasman826

In the '50s and through the '70s, there were four short, dirt tracks that my parents with aunts and uncles would attend.  I also have friends that raced those tracks.  Only two remain and they are just holding on.  Much of my influence was from reading race stories in fiction books that I checked out of the library during summer breaks when I was 9 and 10 years old.  Not only did Hot Rod Magazine set the tone, but I also had older friends who took me to Milan Dragway in the mid '60s.  Right in the middle of FX cars, Gassers, AA, straight axles, fuel...later in '69 and '70 I paid the extra five bucks to race!  Then, in the spring of '71 I got my letter...'Greetings, your friends and neighbors have selected you to...'.  I have never made it back to race.  I have attended Autoroma, Woodward, Milan, Michigan International Speedway, Hot Rod Power Tour, and a small drag strip outside of El Paso.  Still plenty on my bucket list and I add check marks regularly!

JRWASH

Thanks for all the info so far, and if anyone has any pic's of there Brake set up I'd greatly appreciate it.