News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Swap to a dual master cylinder, none power

Started by mort1928, 2012-06-26 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mort1928

I have collected all the info from here to switch to a none power dual master cllinder
I have a 57 Fairlane with the pedal assist power brake
Will this swap ( mustang master ) work with my power brake set up?
Thanks for any and all help / sugestions

Leon

shopratwoody

I don't really know. Never tried that combo :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Lou

Why are you going to a dual master, have you installed disk brakes?

mort1928

Dual master will give me a safety factor if there is a problem in eather the front or back

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: mort1928 on 2012-06-27 15:59
Dual master will give me a safety factor if there is a problem in eather the front or back

Only if you have that ugly metering block in the system.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-06-27 17:34
Only if you have that ugly metering block in the system.
Please enlighten.

Ford Blue blood

That metering block has a slide valve in it that turns on the "brake" light on the dash but more importantly it slides over and seals off the open or failed portion of the system.  This will allow preasure to build and give partial brakes, might take a couple of pumps but they will come up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Lou

"Dual master will give me a safety factor if there is a problem in eather the front or back"

So will a rollcage and a 5 point harness. 57 Ford have a safety factor built in if you lose your brakes, it's called a hand brake, and can be found to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.

dgasman

Yes it will work but only if you use a master cylinder with a 1 1/8th inch bore.
A bore any smaller will give you a spongy pedal feel with the sure swift power assist system.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

mort1928

Thanks ford blue blood, I have your info from a previous post where you explained the whole set up.
dgasman, can eather of you sugest a master that will fit and is a 1 1/8" bore

Thanks,
Leon

rmk57

I used a manual disc brake master from a mid-70's Granada. If you still have drum brakes in front you should also get a residual check valve for the front brakes. It will give you a higher brake pedal by keeping a small amount of line pressure on front wheel cylinders. Not needed if you have discs. I used a Wilwood distribution/ proportioning valve, works great.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford Blue blood

Get a Granada drum/drum master cylinder and the metering block for it and it should be a bolt in.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

dgasman

I am using a master from a 85 mustang svo . You will need to use a combination valve for a car with four wheel drums , this will have the residual pressure valves in it. I have been using this set up for years on my ranchero with the sure swift power assist .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

mort1928

I want to thank everyone for the info
Will do more research with this info

Leon

mort1928

Another master cylinder question
What is the difference between shallow bore and deep bore use
Thanks
    Leon