News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

GRANADA brake converison

Started by lenh22, 2012-11-07 10:21

Previous topic - Next topic

lenh22

Has anyone done the Granada brake converison? All info on this would be great.
1957 4 Dr. Wagon, 390, FMX
1957 Ranchero 351W, Auto

briney

Yes I did... see my post and pictures on this site.

Patrick    Dallas TX  :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

lenh22

I will look for your post.
thanks
1957 4 Dr. Wagon, 390, FMX
1957 Ranchero 351W, Auto

len

its way easier to use disk brakes from a 1973 to 1977 torino or 77 to 79 cougar or ltd11.they are a bolt on.apparently to use the granada spindles you have to retaper the lower ball joint and tie rod holes. that is what i have been told anyhow. i just did the 77 cougar swap on mine ind it was a straight bolt on.i think the drop is about the same.len

Frankenstein57

Go into the posts, history on this topic. It's well documented

davemustane1

sorry to make you repeat yourself len but are you saying that 77 to 79 cougar or ltd spindles, calipers, everything will bolt onto my 57 ranchwagon? thank you for your time.
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

Frankenstein57

Dave, I have the torino spindles on mine and I had to ream the BJ tapers, Mark

RICH MUISE

Dave, my answer also is not a direct answer to your question. Which spindles you use depends on what you are after. Are you wanting to lower your car as well, or just add the disc brakes? If you are after just discs with no lowering, kits are available for use with the stock spindles. I can't speak about other spindles other than what I used, which was the Granada spindles with the disc setup from drop-n-stop. It is a bolt-on kit.They do lower the car about 2-2 1/2", so they cannot be used in conjunction with lowering springs. Also with the granada discs at least, the stock 14" wheels cannot be used.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

davemustane1

I'm sorry I should have been a little more clear in my question, you all will have to excuse me I'm new to this and not used to having people that can answer my questions so I get a little excited. I'm not looking to lower the car I'm just looking for disc brakes, I would love to find factory ford stuff instead of aftermarket because then I could go to any auto parts store to get parts. I have looked at a few different aftermarket setups and they are nice. Thank you all for your input
1957 ranchwagon
1967 f-100
and lots of motorcycles

JPotter57

On my last Custom, I used the Granada brakes and a pair of Lincoln Towncar (5.0 sbf) coil springs with 1.5 coils removed.  Achieved 4-5 inches of drop and looked good I thought.  Front end alignment was good, drove great, and most importantly to me, didn't bottom.  I used Lakewood 90/10 shocks and no swaybar.  Wouldn't corner, but worked well on the track and ok in general street driving.  IN retrospect, I may not have cut the springs, just used the Granada spindles...we'll see this time around.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

here is what it looked like with Granada brakes and the chopped Lincoln springs..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

geraldchainsaw

i'm probly late for this changing to disk brakes,  but i'll ask any way,  do u have to change the master cyl or can u use the orig,  thanks    jerry

geraldchainsaw

sorry guys,  i thought i posted but i don't c it,    my orig question was,  in stalling disk brakes,  do u have to change the master cyl?,    i asume we;re talking front disk brakes?,   and question to Rich Muise,  who has these conversion kits that will take the orig spindels?,  thanks   jerry

Frankenstein57

Gerry, it is strongly recommended that you swap the master out at that time to a dual master. Power or non power is OK. There are more and more conversion kits showing up that use the stock spindles, the one I know of is scarebird.  Hope that helps, Mark

hiball3985

Regarding using the Lincoln springs does anyone know what the spring rate is? I'm looking for something heavier then the originals.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang