News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

GRANADA brake converison

Started by lenh22, 2012-11-07 10:21

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

sorry guys,  getting old,  what is a good replacement for the orig master cyl to a dual master cly?,  for disk conversion?,  thanks   jerry

Frankenstein57

Gerry, I assume you are converting the Fairlane convertable? Keep in mind you will be taking it a good way away from stock. Not trying to tell you what to do, but that car looks pretty original. I saw a ebay add from old Irish Dave , he says he is only doing Ford stuff now. That's a good place to start. He had a power dual master setup, if you want a more stock look maybe a granada master.  Mark

geraldchainsaw

thanks Mark,   all the info i'm getting is for possible future conversion,  your right about being stock,  and thats my thinking right now,  but i make up a info book on things that might get done in the future,   jerry

gasman826

Just to rehash Granada spindle swap some more.  I just sold a member a set of Granada spindles.  He shared with me that the spindles were 77-79 Thunderbird.  The 'Granada style' spindles were used for several applications with several upgrades.  Even though the style is the same, all parts may not interchange over the entire life cycle of 'Granada style' disc brakes.  One example is Granada 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder disc brakes.  As a 'heads up', when ordering parts for Granada style brakes from an unknown donor, compare the original part number to the replacement part.  As with any Ford or other OEM, upgrades can happen without warning...even mid year.

RICH MUISE

Good to know..thanks for the info. Ha...Reminds me to start making a "build book" for my car so when my memory completly goes I can read up to find out what the heck I built the car with.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

ok, so which disc brake swap to you not have to machine the spindles? Direct bolt on. Meaning I can take all my old stuff off and put the new stuff on with only minor take care of problems in my non-machine shop garage. Is there just a straight up list of all the parts I need to? So I can just go straight to NAPA and get it?
~Chris

Frankenstein57

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-03-30 09:16
Just to rehash Granada spindle swap some more.  I just sold a member a set of Granada spindles.  He shared with me that the spindles were 77-79 Thunderbird.  The 'Granada style' spindles were used for several applications with several upgrades.  Even though the style is the same, all parts may not interchange over the entire life cycle of 'Granada style' disc brakes.  One example is Granada 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder disc brakes.  As a 'heads up', when ordering parts for Granada style brakes from an unknown donor, compare the original part number to the replacement part.  As with any Ford or other OEM, upgrades can happen without warning...even mid year.
I had a set of torino spindles that had different bearing sizes, turns out my brother removed them from a similar mercury, a montego or something. They had two different bearing sizes for V8 and sixes. I unraveled the mystery using autozones website

gasman826

Since I stirred this up, I will step out on a limb.  Anytime something is said about Ford parts, there is always an exception.  There are NO absolutes with Ford parts!!!!!!!!!  Usually, one can order parts based on make and model.  In the cases where the donor vehicle is unknown, compare the part numbers.  In this case, the question is the inner wheel bearing.  Parts suppliers have part number interchange catalogs for wheel bearings, bearing cups and wheel seals.  Once the interchange numbers are confirmed, update your build sheets with year, make, and model of the donor car your 'Granada style' spindles originated.

The 6 cylinder rotors are smaller.  I casually call them 9" but the actual measurement is just over 9".  The 8 cylinder ones I call 10" but measure just over.  I have never used the 9" ones.

There is no machining required on the 'Granada style' spindles.  Some models require the lower ball joint or tie rod end be reamed.  This reaming is minimal and performed by hand.  I have done several swaps (usually from unknown donors) and have NOT needed to ream the lower ball joint.  About 50/50 have needed the outer tie rod end reamed (my guess is the '77-'79 T-Bird/LTDII tie rod ends do NOT require reaming).  Even if the tie rod end needs to be reamed, it is NOT necessary.  If unreamed, the castle nut will not line up with the hole to place the cotter key.  The tie rod end threads will be fully engaged.  Since imports have not used cotter key for years as well as domestic late models, I use lock nuts and/or thread locker (Loctite) with no issues.  If one wants to be more traditional, the tapered ream is available from Speedway Motors for about $80.00 (do NOT use the ream in a power tool).

I recommend aftermarket brake hoses.  OEM hoses are straight off the caliper.  Stainless lines with 90 degree end will clear better.  The banjo adapters are available but the specific bolt thread is less common (7/16-24??).  Several years ago I sourced the bolts through my Harley dealer.  Now they are available from higher end auto suppliers.  I think Rich has pictures.

All this being said, I would not hesitate to locate 'Granada style' spindles for the next '57-'64 disc brake swap.  It's hard to beat the brake quality, OEM quality parts, OEM and aftermarket parts availability, and the look and feel for the money.  If the 10" rotors aren't big enough, the big Ford and Lincoln (11") rotors will fit!

It has been more than five years since the last swap and I hope I've left nothing out...I'm relying on an assist!!!!!!!